HELP!! I feel insecure!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Call me crazy or not, I don't know, I just feel like if I don't go with a certain brand Warwick, etc. Folks are not gonna call me a good bass player. Granted I've just started. But I guess it's how I feel and think the bass sounds? Am I nuts? Did any of you guys feel like this?
  2. I think most bands would rather have a bass player that can play (even if it's on some elcheapo special), rather than some chump posin with his warwick. but, thats just my opinion.
  3. It works both ways...
    I suck, but because I'm holding a sweet Warwick,
    everyone thinks I'm the groove master.
    It's all in the prop's. :D

Then again, I've alway heard of these "Bass Masters" who use $hit equipment and blow everyone out of the water.... but I've never seen it.
    You can't turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.
  4. That's a natural feeling to have, but remember that having a 21 string 27volt double neck made from the rarest wood on the planet makes you not a bit better a player than if you had a beater. All it does is make you poorer. The money is better spent on the best music education you can afford.
  5. if it's something thats bothering you, why not look at some used stuff. I saw a nice Streamer Standard at my local guitar shop for $600, with a hardshell case. I messed around on it for a few minutes, it was sweet!
    just play a beater for a while and save up.
    awe man, that same shop has a used RIC 4003 maple glo for $750. it's a '98, and the action is set LOW, just how I like it.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sounds like you care too much about what other people think. Buy what's right for you -- what sounds good to you and what feels good to you. If someone else admires you for it, that's just icing on the cake. If they want to hassle you because the name on your headstock says "Schmalzie" instead of "Schector," or "Wherevick" instead of "Warwick," let 'em. Most times, when someone is dissing you for what you've got, it's because they haven't got it. Get it?

I myself would love to be able to afford a nice, custom Wherevick. ;)
  7. being a good (or DESIRABLE) bassist hasnothing to do with the brand of stick.

that i promise you.

as far as warwick is concerned, i played a corvette std. fretless and loved the way it sounded, the way it played, the way it looked, the way it smelled, and the way it made me feel when i picked it up. but we're all different, so don't worry for a minute that you have to fit a "stereotype" when you chose a bat, regardless of your age, or style of music that you play.
  8. Ha sweet,that's just what I needed to read.
  9. Would you rather be a bass player or a bass owner? There's a HUGE difference you know? Also, why would anyone buy a bass they didn't like just so someone else might think the brand is cool? I've never played a gig in my life where the audience consisted largely of other bassists. If whatever bass you play sounds good, your other band members will be happy. I don't quite "get" the whole "headstock envy" thing sometimes. By the way, you like the way the action is set low on that one bass at the music store, great! You do realize you can set the action that low on any bass?? I've been guilty too of picking up basses in stores and putting them back down, not liking them simply because they were set up poorly.
  10. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    This is the first time I've seen this subject Warwick, usually people think that fender is the only brand you should own. But dont give a damn about what other people say. They arent you, I mean hell I play an Ibanez straped up over my stomech and playing ecclectic metal. Ibanez's are usually black listed as the "Scooped Mid, wanna-be slapper, down to your knee's" brand. Its not the brand that makes the bassist, its those demented grooves in your head that make you one and dont let anyone else make you think otherwise with brands and equipment.
  11. I personally feel that having a quality instrument is important. Every bass player needs a bass that can be properly setup, stays in tune, and feels comfortable. It should also be capable of getting a good natural sound.

Quality does not always mean expensive however. Most manufacturers make good $400 - $500 models that are high quality nice playing instruments.

Don't go into debt to get the sweetest bass on the block. Get a decent bass and practice your brains out. It will be great when the guy with the $2000 bass shows up and you smoke him on your $300 Mexican P.
  12. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I hear ya, just the other day I was at a music store and I heard some kid sayin, "Man that guy in that band Hoobastank playing that custom Tobias is the most innovative bassist ever!" Well the band is decent, they write good songs, but I don't think the bass player is *that good*, granted he has some kind of blue seethru custom Tobias and a full Aguilar rig but, he aint no Garry Willis ;)

It does go that way, I don't consider myself a master at bass but when I had a Warwick Thumb 5 NT and I played tons of shows with my old band, tons of kids "assumed" I was good, hahahahahahaha, little did they know....

Just get a decent sounding bass and practice, practice, practice. Don't get a cheapo bass like the Rouge MF model because I do have a prob. with those, they sound bad and if you sound bad you won't play as good, IMO. Oh well good luck and don't let others influence you, you'll do fine.
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A good plumber can fix a leak, a bad one can't. Having decent tools is important, yes, but nowhere near on a scale with skill. A bassist who can't really play standing up there holding an expensive axe is actually rather pathetic Nobody WHO MATTERS cares what the cat with chops is playing!
  14. RIGHT ON!:cool:
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think as long as it works, someone may like the sound that comes out... and it will sound good for some applications.

But for the most part. Better gear does help.

As far as the original question. When you are secure in your playing, your gear issues will be less of a problem. A good bass, amp or effect will not make you sound good if you can't play.

Sounds to me like practicing more will be a much better boost of your confidence.

16. Right On ! :) I totally agree with Hategear !

Just buy what you like, and the rest can f**k *** !
    I never care what people think of me, or what they think of my gear ! :)