1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP - I got B2000 I need 2Cab 2x10@8ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by irbass, Jul 20, 2012.

1. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I got head Carvin B2000, 700w@8, 1300w@4 and 2050w@2ohms, i know it's a lot of power just to play around sometimes.

Now i need to get the cabinets i was thinking to get 2cabs 4x10 from carvin to make the head use all 2050w, but it's too much, I have a small car for that. So i decided to get 2cabs 2x10 it will be easy move around, the problem is i can't find it with the right watts and Ohms.

I found 2x10 600w@4ohms but it will not work because 2cabs will became 1200w@2ohms and the head still have too much power.:confused:

So the best thing for me will be 2x10 700w@8ohms, So if anybody knows how to find it, so please help me and let me know.

I know some people will ask why i want that power,
    It is just pleasure, just to make some vibration in my house.Rsrsrs

Thank's a lot guys!!!

2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    You can try these: 8ohm/600watts
    Carvin BR210N-8 2 X 10 BR CABINET W/ NEODYMIUM DRIVERS (8 OHMS)
    They will handle your power and made for the head too. Also they sound good.
    I have used them before. good luck.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    The Carvin BR Neo 2x10 is rated at 600 watts at 8 ohms. Two of these would equal 1200 watts at 4 ohms, which is just 100 watts shy of your amps 4 ohm power rating. As long as you don't push them to maximum volume you will be fine. You could also get one of the Carvin 4x10 neo cabs rated at 1200 watts at 4 ohms.

4. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I was thinking to get carvin 2x10 600w@8ohms but some friends told me that 100w more on the head will blow the speakers after some gigs. But i don't know if it's true or not.

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    you will be fine as long as your volume isn't past 8...lol...
    Many guys play with more power, you just need to be smart on your controls.
    Or you could go aon with the 410 cab....and not worry.

6. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I'm trying to avoid 4x10 just because of the size and weight. 2cabs 2x10 will work better for me. I've been looking 700w 2x10 but i didn't find it. Probably I'll get 2 cab 600w 2x10 and let the head under 8 to avoid lost the cabs. But I'll wait to see if somebody knows some factory that do a high watts 2x10 for bass.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Your amp isn't 2000 watts unless you're running it to full output (which may be far less than 10 on the knobs).

Just get a pair of 8ohm 210's you like the sound of and play them. If they start to distort, turn down a little.

Don't get fixated on watts. This is a case where they don't matter.

8. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Yeah.
    I don't think i will use all power of the head, I'm looking 700w 210s just to be safe in case i need to put a lot of power and it will be worry less about blowing the speakers.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, 700-watt 210s are pretty scarce, but DNA DNS-210s fall in that category. They sound fantastic, but are big and heavy. If it were me, I'd seek out some used Bergantino AE210s. They're 400 watts but, as others have said, you don't need to crank the volume control all the way up. You're kind going about this backwards. Just because you have a million watts available doesn't mean you're going to be able to find a couple small speaker cabs that can handle them.

Really, using 210s is kind of nonsensical for that much power. You really need a couple 410s for this to make any sense at all. I know you're space-limited, but that doesn't change the sensibility of what you're trying to do. Buying a rig should be planned with all the parameters in mind - amp, cab, venue size, music genre. It doesn't make sense to buy one component then force-fit everything else to that.

10. Realistically a head with that much power begs for an 8x10...or a couple of them.

Since dragging those would be a problem 4x10's would be the next best bet. If that's still too big you can go 2x10's, but running 2x10's with a head with that much juice, it won't take much abuse to cook them...no matter whose 2x10's you use.

11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm wondering if you realize just how much power you are talking about?

I gig with the B2000 and (2) 8 ohm cabinets (210/115) just about every weekend and I have never been able to bring the volume past the half way mark before I have my band members and/or the soundmen freaking out on me.

Just sayin...

12. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    What's the brand of your cabs???

13. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Your guys are right it is a lot of juice and probably i will never use it.
    I know i should get 2/4x10 or 1/8x10 to get the power , but i need to stick with 2/210s or 110 with 115.
    But i already got the head and the price is to good for that power! I tested it in 2/8x10 Warwick cabs in my friends house, I felt a strong vibration from the bass, so I'll keep the head.

I was thinking to get the cabs from mesa boogie instead of carvin!
    but the price of the mesa cabs is to high compared with carvin, with the same 600w and neodymium speakers. But mesa in my opinion looks better and looks well made, I just don't know about the sound. But I'll keep looking at reviews until get the decision.

14. Carvin cabs offer great value for the $$$ you spend. Mesa makes great speaker cabs but are several times the cost of Carvin. If you can score Mesa cabs at a price you can handle go for it.

15. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dr. Bass. 500w & 600w at 8 ohms. Great cabs but I obviously couldn't recommend them ;)

16. With that kind of power to handle, most of the cabs solutions described thus far will be excursion limited way before you reach the rated thermal limit for which their watt ratings are based on. This means you need to keep in mind, as an example, that 2 different 2x10s cabs, one rated at 400w and the other at 600w could start farting out at the same wattage (rough example- @250-350w) unless you lower lots of bass frequencies from your EQ. Marketing drives the business and more often than not, the trick used by mainstream manufacturers being to throw bigger voice coils to speakers offering similar mechanical capabilities thus doping the wattage handling spec.

If you want to go as loud as you can with your head at 4 ohm, not being worried about low frequencies related excursion limit, remain portable, handle lots of watts, not many solutions exist. There are actually some fantastic ones, but there is always a compromise, and that compromise is price. You need premium drivers with outstanding Xmax and thermal handing. If you don't want to go DIY and you have 1200-1500 ish bucks to spend, I have to recommend checking the Barefaced bass website at once:

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm

The Big Twin (1500W@4 Ohms) would literally chew up everything your head has to throw at it without farting a bit with full Bass EQ and its 55lbs. Only problem is that you'll break something in the room, if not your ears. The Super 12 (1200W@4 ohms,40lbs) and Super 15 (1200W@4 Ohms, 49 lbs) have less (but still above average) xMax but are so efficient that they would make your ears bleed way before you dare reaching their excursion limits.... I also have to mention Green Boy designs(Dually 15, fEARful 12-12-6), since you could get away with a tad cheaper solution depending on the builders (at the cost of a bit more weight, unless you go composite which will bring you back in the higher pricing range). Others may exist that I'm not familiar with, other fellow TB'ers may chime in :)

If you dont want to spend that kind of money you will have to deal with the fact that you wont be able to drive your amp at full capacity without making your sound less than desirable- But like others mentioned, do you really need to drive that amp full blast? Thats what master knobs are for (paraphrasing JimmyM somehow here) :)

Good luck with your quest to mate this head with the best cabs possible- hope you will be satisfied with your final choice :D.

17. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I'm impressed. This is the first time i saw cabs like that.
    It is very expensive!!

Probably I'll need to deal with 2cabs 600w 8hms!
    The head 1300w@4homs and 2cabs 1200w@4ohms!
    Because of the price I'll need to learn how to deal with this extra 100w.
    I lot of people on they reviews told it will work fine and they did that and it worked for them.
    I hope it works for me!!
    But I'm really impressed with that cabs.

18. Price is often the number 1 deciding factor... unless you are not in a hurry and willing to wait while piling up the asked $. You may not need to worry much about that 100W extra in terms of thermal handling... but as detailed in my previous post, I'd be wary of a couple hundred of watts down low. You will have to be careful and and avoid mechanical failure by checking your EQ. It will be OK as long as you keep an eye on the bass knob (or rather keep an ear on the speakers farting out...) while kranking up the master volume knob.. :)

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's a seriously powerful amp so I suggest some seriously high-quality and powerful (yet compact) cabs. ACME. The 210 cab is called the B-2.

They make 12" cabs now too. A 12" sub and a 12" full range cab with a tweeter. Stack a pair of these (you can choose 8 or 4 ohm) and you'll blow many big heavy rigs right off the stage. I would go with the 8 ohm versions with that head. For the quality you get, the prices are quite reasonable IMO.

http://acmebass.com/

:bassist:

20. What about the Wattage handling of the Acmes? i thought the 210s were around 350w RMS @8, two of them 700w @ 4.. that's about half the wattage the head can feed them with in any configs.. To handle the wattage he would need either the 410 700w @ 8 Ohm, or two 410 8Ohms for a total of 1400W @ 4Ohms..