1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP! I got ripped by a TB brother(?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dcr, Jul 18, 2007.

1. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Just got a nice official letter in the mail from FedEx. Seems that one of our Canadian TB brothers I positively bent over backwards to help has shafted me. He has neglected to pay Customs fees for over 2 months on a bass he bought, so now they're planning on taking it from me. Fee is about $100 USD, so it's not a terrible loss. But it's the principle, ya know?

I used PayPal and it was a confirmed address, but it's past their 45 day (IIRC) limit. And I can't seem to get an answer from them.

I'm not gonna name names at this point in order to give him a chance to respond, but I don't anticipate him doing so.

Anybody out there got any ideas? I don't mind spending more than I might actually recover in order to exact my revenge, either.

Thanks!

dcr

2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    What happens if you just don't pay the fees?

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Well since I have a FedEx account tied to my credit card, I figure they'll just dun me for it.

dcr

4. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    That sucks considering all of us canucks on tb seem like good people, I hope it wasn't any of the more frequent users.

5. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    does he have the bass? If so then that sucks, if not then pay the fees and have it returned to your place?

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I assume he has the bass, as he never called to tell me otherwise.

Now that's a clever idea. Maybe he doesn't. Perhaps I'll look into that.

Thanks!

dcr

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I could be wrong here but I believe that if the customs duties are not paid then the item is forfeited to the gov't. They just keep it. I doubt they released the item to him without the customs duty being paid.

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

They do, fedex usualy just send a bill a few days after you received the package.

9. I know in the UK that you don't get the package until all duties are paid on it. That is a stupid system FedEx have got, there will be many A******* that will take advantge of it.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Only Fedex work that way. Canada post, purolator and UPS need to be paid right away.

11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Man, I wish I'd known that before.

It's almost as easy for me to go UPS. Except I have a FedEx account. Now, looks like that account's gonna pay me back for working so well up to this point. AAAAARRRGH!

dcr

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't see how they are rightfully going to charge your account for something that is due from the addressee. I'd look at the contract for your account to see if there's something in there that expressly allows them to charge you for it.

13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    They cant charge you for it, its his problem, not yours. Tell them if they charge you, you take em to court, they'll back off and that will be the last you hear of it.

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    You can also dispute the charges against your credit card. The card issuing company will have to investigate it, and sometimes they get pretty aggressive in fighting it for you. Worth a shot!

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    When you ship something to Canada via FedEx, part of the electronic agreement you sign is that you assume overall responsibility for the brokerage fees. So if the receiver doesn't pay, you're liable. Ergo, you can't refuse to pay it.

16. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Seriously? That is screwed up...

17. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    When I received my Sadowsky by Fedex (in Vancouver) I had to pay the brokerage fees before they would give me the bass. Maybe they have different rules depending on the value of the item.

I have definately been billed after the fact by UPS (nothing like paying $50 brokerage on a $150 pedal, won't use UPS again - but that is a different can of worms)

Later
    Rob

18. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Tell the Mounties! They're not busy doing anything else...

EDIT: joke

19. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Joke or not, if I thought it would help, I'd already have called!

dcr

20. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Yeah, if they went to his house and got the bass back it'd be hard to carry it on a horse.