Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!!! I got signed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FATZ, Sep 25, 2001.

1. FATZ

FATZ Guest

Sep 24, 2001
    Shreveport, La
    OK..I'm sure that the label will have their own endorsements, but what would a bass player, namely Me, need to get (...amp, cabinets) in order to get the sound that comes with tuning down a whole step and then dropping the top string to "C"? Yep, it's low. I think Godsmack tunes that way. Anyway, I want to get that "Fieldy" edge, but also the low rumble that accompanies tuning to "C". Any opinions on this are welcome.
    www.kwbmusic.com

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Uhhhh...how did you get signed? Did someone sign you on the assumption that you could get the sound they wanted? I'm not trying to be a prick here either, I am just a wee bit confused...

3. FATZ

FATZ Guest

Sep 24, 2001
    Shreveport, La
    My bad...For the last five years I've played only thru a Peavy 200 Session Bass head on a Peavy 410TX cab. Now the five years has shown it's age and my 10's crapped out on me. I've been wanting to get some new gear...something more "equipped" for our sound (similar to Korn, Staind, Godsmack, etc). I don't want to represent with crap on stage...get it? Oh, and we were signed by GarageBand Records out of San Fransisco. They are small, but bigger than us. It's a decent start.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, now that you're rich, you might as well get an Eden WT-800 and two D-410XLTs. That would rule.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yessir, it would rule. That's the backline of pros. Ask Gard. It rules! RULES!

6. FATZ

FATZ Guest

Sep 24, 2001
    Shreveport, La
    That's exactly what I looked at about 30 mins ago, except I'd probably go for the 810....since I don't have to move it...lol
    Any more suggestions?

7. FATZ

FATZ Guest

Sep 24, 2001
    Shreveport, La
    I was just checking out the Carvin site and saw their 810 cab with 1000w Redline head....what about it? Why is Carvin so inexpensive? Is it only because they are factory direct? Or are they any good?
    Oh, and while looking at their bass guitars, I saw this option...what is the difference? "Replace J99 single coils with H50N stacked humbuckers"

8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Definitely don't assume you still won't have to move your own gear because you are signed, I still move mine, maybe one day though...

Chris(mover of my own gear...well, sometimes)
    :D

9. Imabassplayr

Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    Psch, youre signed now? get a mesa 400+ an 8x10 and a 2x15 cab. Then get a 5 string stingray bass and u can play the the low c on ur b string. When you want the fieldy sound just do a big ass smiley face eq, you'll probably be heard since ur packin a ton of bass w/ ur setup. God i'd love to get gear like that :).

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im not Gard but Edens are definatly the cream of the crop.

*Homer voice on*

MMMMMMMM EEEEEEEEEdennsssssssss

*Homer voice off*

11. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Well, to get that fieldy edge, I've read that he uses Mesa Cab. He also uses a grapic EQ, boost the highest and lowest, and cut the rest. Make sure you have a tweeter in your new cab/cabs. A lot of wattage will be good too, to cut through the guitars. My personal preference is Eden, although I can't afford Eden gear, but FORSFYSD.

12. FATZ

FATZ Guest

Sep 24, 2001
    Shreveport, La
    OK...I went yesterday and put dibs on a Mesa M-2000 and Powerhouse 1000 cab, which is really a dream compared to that damn Peavy I've been playing for 5 years. I also put back an Ibanez BTB 400 4-string. If I decide to "soup it up", what recomendations do you have?

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I would seriously reconsider the bass and get one that has a 35" scale (if the Ibanez doesn't) and get heavy gauge stainless roundwounds.

14. FATZ

FATZ Guest

Sep 24, 2001
    Shreveport, La
    Oh yeah...I did a little more "lookin" and have decided on the 5 string model of the Ibanez.

15. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i have an SR405 and asked the same thing. i was told that the pickups on Ibanez basses are really good, its the preamp that most dont like. just a thought .......

soup it up ...... hmm .... with the monorail bridge you cant really ( or wouldnt want to ) do anything very easily. what are the dimensions on the pickups?????

16. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Carvin amps are great in my opinion.

The H50N is just an optional pickup. It has two coils instead of one, but instead of the two coils being side by side as in most "humbuckers" these are stacked one on top of the other so it looks like a single coil. It gives it a somewhat different sound also.

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I'd say go Ampeg or SWR style. Those crazy Eden guys don't know what they're talking about! :D

If you're gonna have a bunch of roadies and a big tour bus, get like 4 8x10s. I can hear those poor roadie backs breaking already... HAHAHA!!!!!!

:cool:

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds to me like you need to invest in EBS stuff. The Fafner head has a huge range of tones! You can go from hi-fi to real gritty with the "Character" control, which adjusts the amount of tube gain present in your tone.

A great match with the Fafner is EBS' line of cabinets. The 4x10 (which I have) is the punchiest, tightest rig I've heard to date!:D

Whatever you do end up buying, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least go and check out this stuff! It's that good!!!