Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I got the performance jitters...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I so scared. I don't know what to do. I don't know all the songs. But I can stumble thru them. Stubborn guitarist didn't show me everything, gig tomorrow at big gig called MetalFest, I don't know what to do. What do you do. I feel like barfing.

2. Practice.

It's like insurance against sucking.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    its metal.. dont worry... just improvise lol turn the bass and mids up with a little treble and rock the A and E and youll do fine :p

4. +1

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Just stand in the corner and stare at your feet like all good bass players do. :smug:

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    If it's not being recorded (for sale) then just go out and have fun with it. You can't really practice something you haven't been shown, but just get in a space where you get connected with your inner-ear. Think a note, play it, think where it might go, play it. You'll have to rely on your ear when you run out of road map so get connected (as much as possible) with your sense of roots and melody, and your best guess as to where things might go musically.

Still, it'll be great. Sometimes when you're starting off with a handicap - in this case not knowing the songs - there's a point where you go "I got nothing to lose" - and it actually makes you more relaxed, more inspired. And then, if you can focus on the way the song is moving, you can start to anticipate and be creative and have fun with it. Add to that a little adrenaline and you might find yourself rushing downstage and grinning at the audience even if you flub a note. At that point, live, it doesn't matter. Your sense of fun and energy will translate to the audience.

It sorta goes beyond the actual notes.

Have fun with it. :)

...and let us know how it came out!

7. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Great idea. And you are right, I can't practice what I haven't been shown. It's math/metal, so I guess I'll just try to stay grounded as much as possible, and listen for the vocal cues that I remember. Thanks for the post, that really helped.