1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Help! I hate my iRig 2 with iPad and GarageBand!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassist4dalord, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Okay, I'm in crisis mode here. I just bought this iRig 2, downloaded GarageBand on my iPad and my expectations are far from met.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my bass sounds ganky and THIN in my headphones. Let me break down my signal chain. I'm upset and need some ideas here.

Schecter Raiden Special-4 (passive 4-string bass, VVT, coil tap for humbucker setting) strung with La Bella Copper Tapes in standard tuning.

Plugged into iRig 2 into iPad Mini.

Sennheiser eh150 headphones.

So the issue I'm facing is that the bass amps in GarageBand all make my bass sound like it's being played through smartphone speakers- thin, nasal, trebly and just awful. Maybe my expectations of sounding like plugging into my Acoustic B20 practice amp were unrealistic? I was looking for bass amp sound without lugging round my bass amp.

I also downloaded AmpliTube which only has one amp (guitar amp with tons o gain) unless I shell out $5 for other amp models.

I spent $5 on GK PocketRig and it sounds better, but still not great. The other downside with that app is that it limits me to using iTunes music. I would prefer to use Pandora or AccuRadio because I don't have much music in my iTunes.

So, does anybody have any suggestions? I could change my bass strings but I would really, really like to avoid doing that.

Sincerely,

Frustrated.

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    the problem is completely the Garageband amp sim, if i remember rightly. no need to get new strings...

is there a tuner bypass to just your clean signal? that might be a cheap stopgap for home practise.

3. So I deleted the GK app; it wasn't anything to write home about. I purchased the Ampeg SVT-4 and B-15 models within AmpliTube and those sound really good. Now I just need to find a way to tweak volumes.

So I guess GarageBand is really that terrible?

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A couple of years ago, JamUp XT and Bias were the apps you wanted that actually sounded good. I'm not sure if those are still on top but I'm pretty sure they are.

There's an iOS thread in the effects forum that has lots of great info.

murmur70 likes this.
  5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Nope. It's JUST a DAW. Try different monitoring solution...er, different headphones. There's a reason studios spend thousands and thousands of dollars on monitoring. The speakers or headphones, the room, the EQ, the building materials, the seating location, ALL have a HUGE impact on monitoring. And seriously, $30-50 headphones would be the first thing to change. Even boorrowing a few different pairs might be a great way to analyze your set-up. Hope this helps. Keep at it. You'll figure it out.

6. Your headphones are fine. It's the Garageband amp to be honest.

7. Well I've finally found my solution- I downloaded JamUp and bought the Bass Expansion Pack I for $4.99. Just out of curiosity I fired up Pandora Internet radio on my iPad and was able to use JamUp to jam along with it! This has made my day!!

I'll most likely stay away from GarageBand and AmpliTube now.

8. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    I'll try your solution. I have been using iRig with my iPad 3, and the only way I have found to pull the signal out of it is the speaker out. This makes it sound very distorted, and I think the problem is Amplitude.
    Thanks.

9. Yeah, my problems are basically solved. The Bass Expansion Pack I in JamUp is definitely worth it. The amp sims are great and the effects are definitely useful.

And I can use my Internet radio apps with it!

10. Well I had been using Jamup with my iRig into my iPad Mini and it was okay, decent at best.

This morning I decided to try using my iPhone SE instead and was pleased with the results. Part of me wonders if the Dunlop Super Bright Nickels I put on in place of the La Bella Copper White Nylon Tapes have contributed to the uptick in volume and usefulness.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Changing from your iPad to your iPhone should result in no sonic change at all. You're still using the same preamp (iRig) and software (JamUp).

Changing from tape wounds to nickel will absolutely have a major sonic change.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021