Help, I just broke my neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Junkyardslug, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Junkyardslug

Apr 16, 2000
    This past weekend I dropped my bass (its a Yamaha BBG5), and cracked the head in five places. I supper glued all the cracks shut and then after removing the machine heads planned the back of the headstock 1/8 of an inch and put a maple patch on the back with the grain running purpendicular to the grain on the neck to hold it for the moment, but ultamatly I need a new neck. For those not familiar with the BBG5 it is a five string with a 24 fret neck and a 34" scale. It has a nice wide neck that makes it easy for me to play (not like some other cheap five strings that squeeze onto a neck intended for 4 strings). I have a few options:
    1: Order a new neck from Yamaha. My buddy down at the music store said he could and is checking on the price for me.
    2: Buy an aftermarket neck. I can't seem to find one to fit my criteria. It needs to be wood (none of this graphit junk for me), have 24 frets, be fairly wide at the bottom and have a 35" scale (as long as Im getting a new neck I might as well get that extra inch, and assuming the 24th fret is in the same location I would only have to move the Bridge back 1/4 of an inch.) Also It has to be reasonably priced (the bass only cost me five hundred dollars, and I've seen some necks on the internet that list for over $650) If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would be greatful.

Thanks all,
  2. In my experience, Yamaha parts are reasonably priced, so I would stick to the Yamaha neck. It will also keep the resale value intact. I ordered a Yamaha TRB6P neck pup from Yamaha, and it was no dearer than buying an aftermarket pup.