Help! I just broke my new Essex Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Donahue, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Hey all,

I just got my new Essex jazz bass in the mail today and love it. I took a bunch of pics of it and will post them soon. I was just hoping that someone with the SJB-62 or someone with a good knowledge of wiring in general could help me.
    The hex nut that holds the jack was loose so I tightened it. Then I took off the silver control jack and saw a bunch of plastic stuck between the tone control and the jack outlet on the underside of the plate. I removed this plastic and put everything back together again but now it doesn't make any sound. I took off the control plate again and noticed that there is a short black wire(ground?) on the output jack just sticking out not connected to anything. I am assuming it is a ground wire because it is too short to reach any other control pot. Does anyone know how I can fix this.
    PLEASE help, I love the bass and am pissed I can't play it right now.
    Thanks again,

2. Do you have a digital camera? Can you take a pic of the wiring?

Do you have a soldering iron??
  3. Sorry, I got it figured out. When I tightened the hex nut on the jack it turned the jack and pulled out a wire from the tone control. Pulled out the soldering iron and had it fixed it 5 min.
    Here's a pic of my new beauty.

I'm going to post the rest of my pics on my website when I get a chance.

Can anyone recommend a good set of strings that I should put on these, I play guitar and just started with bass so I don't know what type of strings I should start off with.

4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I've done that on my Peavey before... the jack likes to come loose sometimes, and when you tighten it, if you are't careful you end up spinning the jack and breaking off a wire.

Btw, NICE bass! God, you're m aking me gas for a SX now ;)
  5. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Glad you got it fixed. It's always annoying to break something. Great looking bass too!

6. Very nice looking bass!

I had that problem with my Ibanez, been searching 2 hours before I thought of the solution :S :).

Another question:

I'm looking at buying a fretless jazz-style bass... Now I'm wondering if I should buy a SX or a MIM Jazz.
    Wich one do you guys consider to be better?
  7. That's a beauty! For some reason on my bass, before I got a new jack, wires came off every week or two! :mad:

Then I got a new jack, all is well! :D
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I'd buy an SX if given the choice between the two.

That's a beautiful Jazz Bass, stratking. My personal preference is roundwound Nickelwound strings, in particular Fender brand "Super Bass" Nickels. Some people like stainless steel wound strings, not me. The SS sound much "brighter" and clickier than nickels, and some people like that.
  9. Hey ToolRulez,
    I would definately suggest the SX. I got mine for $119 + shipping. This is a great first bass. I got it as a replacement to me Squier P-Bass which I had for a week before my friend borrowed at a show and threw it off the stage, cracking the neck. This bass feels much more solid than the Squier, and the pickups sound pretty decent.
    The only thing I need now is an amp. I am using my old crate GX15R guitar amp and it sounds like ****. Would you guys recommend the Peavey Microbass? I have heard a lot of good things about that little amp and am tring to find a good priced one on ebay.

10. I'd go for the SX, especially since they are now shipping with flatwound strings (protecting that fretboard). It'll cost half as much as an MIM jazz. And you'll never get a finish like the SX on a MIM without going to a paint shop
  11. Thanks for the replys guys!

This makes me (my wallet :)) very happy :D.

I guess I just buy a SX and put some real nice pups in, I just heared the soundclip of an SX in another thread and it sounds killer.
  12. imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    I did that to my ESP, I almost had a break down cuz I couldnt figure it out. LOL!