Help ! I just got these pedals and am completely green to pedalboard setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hobbyball88, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Hobbyball88

Hobbyball88

Mar 22, 2022
    So I just started putting together a board ( never used one just always plugged in to amp). Here are the pedals in the picture . Justin chancellor crybaby wah, korg pitch black tuner , sans amp bass driver di v2, tc electronic spectra comp(compressor) powered by a voodoo labs 2 plus. Not pictured is the boss chorus pedal.my question is what order should I plug them into each other . I’m a newbie when it comes to pedals . Any help will be appreciative. I’m just looking for a simple plug straight into my Ernie ball music man sterling to pedals to my fender rumble 40 amp

Attached Files:

2. User474755

User474755 Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    I'm not the most knowledgeable pedal person, but I'd go Tuner>Wah>Comp>Chorus>Sansamp and see how it all works together.

3. Hobbyball88

Hobbyball88

Mar 22, 2022
    That’s kind of what I was thinking I just didn’t know if sansamp should be last or the chorus should be last

4. User474755

User474755 Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    You're only dealing with a couple pedals there, so try it both ways. Let me be the first nerd to tell you, "Let your ears decide."

5. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yup. I've used pedals for years, but very minimally. I would do tuner - sansamp - compressor and then call it good-sies...
    One thing worth pointing out is to give your ears a break after a bit of experimenting.
    Having fresh ears is a big help when it comes to figuring out what sounds good.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Depends how you use the Sansamp. Normally I'd start with tuner, comp, anything that is a preamp (unless it's a DI), dirt (which might be part of the preamp anyway), Anything that is synth like (octave or filter), any modulation (chorus/phaser/flanger/vibe/trem), then any time based like reverb or delay. If you are using your preamp as a DI or if you have a DI separately that's closer to last if you intend to send your processed signal.

Remember there is no right or wrong order. Every device might interact with the circuits before it. I'd absolutely put your wah first because they are highly dependent on pickup dynamics. Everything else, even the tuner can go where it works. Some tuners are buffers, I would not put a wah right behind a buffer. Some people use a compressor last, that is effectively what happens in a studio anyway. I use mine early for limiting and a little leveling. Have fun. This rabbit hole gets deeper and wider.
    Best advice is experiment before you stick things to other things with Velcro.

_Obra_, jefkritz, Tim Grant and 2 others like this.
  7. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I would put them tuner-compressor-sansamp-wah-chorus, but that's just me. I like to thicken the sound (amp sim / dist) before modulation (wah / chorus). YMMV.

9. groovaholic

groovaholic Protect your hearing. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I’m an outlier, but I like to use my tuner later in the signal chain where it can also serve as a mute switch.

Where you put your SansAmp will rely on how you’re using it; as a dirt pedal that you’ll toggle on & off, or as an amp-simulator that’ll be on for the whole show?

RichSnyder likes this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd go tuner-wah-compressor-Sansamp.
    That sounds like the most reasonable way to do things.

Hobbyball88 and Steveaux like this.
  11. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Think of it as what you want the later pedals in the chain to do to the earlier signals from each pedal. For instance, do you want to compress the signal from your wah affected tone, or do you want to send compressed signal to your wah and affect it? Put a chorus before a compressor, and then you are compressing chorus signal. etc.

Hobbyball88 likes this.
  12. There's no right answer. You have to experiment and see what sounds best to you. But, here's where I would start: tuner, compressor, wah, chorus, preamp.

Hobbyball88 and alotabass like this.
  13. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    There's not much I can add here, except to say:

- Try stuff out, don't worry too much.
    - My first vibe would tend to be tuner/comp/wah/dirt/modulation. Unless your sans is for DI/pre, purposes, then last with that guy.

Hobbyball88, jwindham and MHensleyJr like this.
  14. Fynn

Fynn

Jan 6, 2022
    Germany
    Try stuff. Certain pedals work well infront or after certain other pedals. Think about what the function of the pedal should be.
    You can take into consideration whether a pedal is buffered or not, what kind of output level it will be at whether it's line or instrument level and so on.
    Compressor can go pretty much anywhere. Many people use them in the beginning to tighten up their base tone. Others put them at the end. Whatever suits you. If your rig is particularly noisy for example you can even put the tuner at the very end to mute the entire noisefloor if that concerns you.
    The Sansamp generally can be seen as just a preamp which could go last in the chain for example.
    The wah can sound really harsh and weird if put after a distortion device. Many people put a wah infront.
    I would personally put the tuner first, then the wah, and then the sansamp. The compressor could go anywhere really. When you put it at the end you will ensure that your signal doesn't peak as much when it reaches the amp and is more punchy, but the sansamp already does a great job of making your bass signal sound punchy and tight.
    There is really no right or wrong here. Maybe you can take a look at what some of your favorite artists do and get some inspiration.

Hobbyball88 and SoCal80s like this.
  15. Fynn

Fynn

Jan 6, 2022
    Germany
    Oh, and the chorus might go well after the sansamp. These type of modulation effects really depend on what you try to achieve with them. I would probably put a chorus at the very end or atleast close to the end.

Hobbyball88 likes this.
  16. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    tuner-Sans Amp then play around with the order after that. Remember your Sans Amp is a BASS preamp pedal. So that goes after your tuner. The others you can play around with.

Hobbyball88 likes this.
  17. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Upstate, SC
    My preference would be Tuner, Sans-amp, Compressor, Wah, then Chorus last.

Hobbyball88 likes this.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Tuner first (...probably doubles as a mute)....SansAmp last as that’s your DI. Not sure how the others interact especially with compressor.

Riis

Hobbyball88, Steveaux and eriky4003 like this.
  19. is the sans amp bass driver an overdrive pedal?

Hobbyball88 likes this.
  20. alotabass

alotabass Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    New Jersey New York
    Not trying to rain on your parade but start by plugging into your amp with no pedals. Get the best sound you can get then decide what you would like to add. Go one pedal at a time. While the order of pedals is important and I agree with what many have already covered since you are green to this you might be get confused with too many options for settings all at once. Some pedals play nice with each other and some don't. Once you get your bass to sound as good as it can with no pedals then start with the Tuner since that has no effect on your sound and a compressor. Work on that first. Then you can add the other stuff later. Hope this helps.

Hobbyball88 and SoCal80s like this.