Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, I know nothing. Need to thicken up the sound.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tzadik, Mar 16, 2006.

1. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Hi,
    I know Nothing of pedals and effects and all that, so I am hoping some of you gurus come up out of the woodwork and help!

My band just lost its lead guitar player. We are going on tour within weeks and and rather than get a new guitar player, we're just going to play as a 3-piece, gui-bass-drums. What are some ways I can beef up the bass sound? I want to try to compensate for the lost guitar.

How do I go about splitting the signal and keeping half as a fairly normal bass sound and making the other half sound like a wily/distorted guitar? It can be pretty grungey - the band can be heard at www.myspace.com/fivestarloser if you want to know what we're dealign with.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I know nothing of this stuff. Two months ago I was playing jazz standards every weekend, wearing a dress; now my hair's dyed red, my fingernails are silver and blue, I'm playing electric, and I wear stage makeup. Go figure.

Thanks!
    -X

2. There is a tread talking about the boss chorus: you can use the dry out to keep your clean sound and the wet out to get some kind of guitar like tone. Running these 2 signals separatly in different amps will gives you what you are looking for (I think so).

3. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Cool.. what equipment do I need to run one bass through two amps?

4. You can use the boss CEB-3. This is a pretty standard chorus but you can use its 2 outputs (1 wet (the affected signal) and 1 dry (the unnaffected signal)).

Try the search tool. There is a tread about the CEB-3 and that particular possibility.

5. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Thanks!! :>

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's not so hard, really. There's a lot of gadgets you can use to split your sound-- me personally I like the Boss LS-2 rather than the chorus thing (it's also bloody useful for a thousand other things). Have line A go to clean amp, line B to dirty amp. that way you can switch dirty on and off at will. Check out http://www.12stringbass.net/, they have lots of stuff on biamp and stereo rigs which is useful for all basses, not just 12-strings.

For the second amp, the guitar sound, i'd say turn down the bass a good ways, it will help you keep the overall sounds more coherent. Are you going to be using a guitar amp or a second bass amp? Other thing to keep in mind is that you need to balance the two things, so that the guitarish sound doesn't drown out the bass and so on. As for the soundman, maybe it'd work best (has for me, generally) to just tell him to treat you for sound purposes like there's two of you.