Help I need a cab re tolexed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by todd burns, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. And I am not up to doing it myself. Can anybody recommend someone in PA who can do it? Thanks.

2. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Did you find anyone?

3. No nothing yet. I’ve gotten side tracked by a couple other projects. Still needs done though.

4. biggredd

biggredd Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Get it sprayed with truck bed liner like linex.

5. I have two identical 112 cabs except the tolex is different colors. Picked them up used. Just want them to match. Don’t want to get into a lot of $. I don’t really have the skill set, patience, or time to do it myself.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Call around the amp repair shops and ask. They'll either do it themselves or know someone that does. Also anyone that specializes in car interior restoration should have all the skills & tools necessary.

BadExample and todd burns like this.
  7. I have one like that and it is pretty cool.

8. Krylon makes a spray paint for plastics that might be a quick and simple way to make your cabs match.
    If it flakes off then you are back where you started, with only a few bucks wasted.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it on Tolex.

todd burns likes this.
  9. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm about the make the decision on getting Tolex and doing it myself. Two Epifani cabs currently wrapped in rat fur. One is fine, the other is a bit ripped up. I love the look of the red DIST cabs, so I'm leaning towards getting some British Levant Red tolex from MojoTone.

Watched many videos of people doing it. Doesn't seem too hard. I'm sure it would be better if I had practice, but it would be more than $200 per cab to have someone else do it. I also don't want to go through the effort to remove the speakers and wires and deal with shipping two cabinets and waiting for them. If I do it myself, at least I still have my cabs in case a last minute gig comes up.

The biggest variable from what I've seen is the glue. There are different levels of curing speed and ease of use. Also, I would possibly need a mask and maybe make this an outdoor job due to fumes.

But they are going to look very cool.

todd burns likes this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Look for a local upholsterer. That's what I did with my Ampeg pb112.
    A Little Back To The Future, Ampeg Style.........

If you go DIY, remove the rat fur is whole pieces if possible. Then use those as templates to cut the telex. Best of luck! Well worth the effort any time you can rid this earth of rat fur!

todd burns likes this.
  11. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    One thing you can do, is use an auto upholstery dye for plastics, but that's still a diy job you may not be up for. One of the most prominent brands is SEM. They make a whole line of manufacturer grade dyes and the appropriate cleaners and preps to make it happen. It would be permanent and not chip or flake like the garbage over-the-counter stuff you can purchase at the auto parts chains. It's not a $20 job, maybe more like $40-80 depending on cab size, condition of the tolex, and how much effort you'd want to put into doing it right.

Depending on what kind of tolex your cabs have, it's also possible you'd have one of them re-covered, and the material/color/or sheen still didn't match exactly. That's also likely if you just painted one.

todd burns likes this.
  12. todd burns likes this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Find a local furniture upholsterer. Show them some images of how it should be done, they will figure it out. The price for covering should be reasonable.

The old vinyl will need to be stripped. The wood will have to be filled and repaired before the new skin is applied.

Tolex is available from Antique Electronic Supply or Mojotone. The first place will send you a few samples if you are unsure as to which one to order.

todd burns likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021