Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!! I need a new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Warwick Fortress

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Warwick Streamer LX

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Fender USA Deluxe Jazz

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Used Pedulla($800-$1300)

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Used Alembic ($800-$1300)

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. G&L L2000

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  7. Musicman Sterling

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  8. Peavey Cirrus

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. Carvin P-series or LB70

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Spector NS-CRFM

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Please help me pick my new bass.Think about sound, quality, and value.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    What kind of music do you play the most?

What style of playing do you use most often?

3. I play mostly jazz and R&B. I also play in my church's youth band sometimes. I play almost completely fingerstyle with a little slap here and there for emphasis.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Uhmm I think a Poll is not the way of know what bass to get.
    It is very sterile to pickup a bass like that.
    Reading from this site.. I suggest you take a look at www.dpcustom.com
    Dave Pushic seems to make great basses for little money.
    Im even thinking of investing all my saved money on a Dave Pushic instead of the Stingray5 I wanted to give myself for my birthday.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yep, Pushic seems nice (as long as demand is adequately low...).

Ifabara, how are you gonna make him build a you a plastic, sorry :eek:, composite bass?? ;)

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Ifabara, The Pushic basses looked cool. I don't think you could beat the price anybody play one?

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually I love wood basses like warwicks, and I have been emailing Dave Pushic so I might get My Custom "Omega Bass" (Dave Pushic) before my birthday.

8. Darn it, another GAS attack, but they are quite nice, especially for the money.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Congas, Ifabara!
    Play it with love!

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    In fact, Im about to order it next week, I have the options , woods , and even custom inlays selected. It even has Carbon Fiber Reinforcementes and Full Bartolini packed !!
    I cant wait !!!

11. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    hey bel-air get you and peavey cirrus.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would like to hear from someone who ones a DP custom on how they play/sound.

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    You can't really go wrong with a used Pedulla either.

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Warwick Streamer LX!

It's got skinny string spacing for speed, sounds amazing, plays amazing and looks amazing. :D

Another good choice is the Cirrus.:bassist:

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've never seen one in person nor have I ever heard one, but if you search around this forum you will find numerous customers of his. I highly recommend that you read the reviews before you send any money.

16. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    well all i know is ill be ordering a Dave Pushic 4 string soon :)

17. of the basses listed you have a few different styles of sound.

for the modern tone I would go with the Peavey Cirrus, I have a Cirrus 5 and it is an awesome bass, great playability and a wounderful tone, it works great for fingerstyle and is a slap monster.

for the more classic fender tones I would go with the G&L L2000, I also have one of these and it gives you a great Music Man tone, P bass tone and an close Jazz bass tone. in paralell mode it also has a great full on attack tone of it own.

ultimately you should really get out and play as many different things as you can. you never know if you are going to like something until you are able to play it for a while.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Actually, today, I was in Lakeshore Music -- a branch of Long and McQuade -- and it was my first time in a BIG store. It was also my first time playing a Warwick. Now, I've had GAS about these things for months and months, spending literally hours cruising all the different models, and today, I played a Streamer LX5 and a Thumb 4. Huge disappointments. HUGE. The necks were literally the WORST I've ever played on -- big, and round like a pole. Wide, too. Nasty, nasty feel to them. That gas has since gone away.

However, I'm hugely GASing at G&Ls lately -- I was going to buy a Tribute L2500 two months ago but I got fired the day I was going to buy it, so I couldn't afford to spend $900 on an instrument at that point. Definitely A/B the Tributes to the real things though, you can save a lot of money and get the bass with the same hardware and electronics...I believe the only difference is wood and craftsmenship (and the real ones come with hardshell cases, free of charge).

Of course, I've got small hands, so naturally the G&Ls would feel much nicer, but just a little tip -- my teacher (37 year exp) plays jazz and R&B and says he just can't get a good tone out the Warwicks. YMMV, of course, but for those genres you (generally) want something smooooooth, not growly like a Warwick. Of those choices for my kind of stuff (funk, jazz, rock) I'd go with the G&L but a Pedulla or Alembic might be smoother and more up your alley. Note that Stanley Clarke, big jazz and R&B bassist uses Alembics and even does a little slap -- sounds like your kind of thing. Definitely try 'em out, but I don't think a Warwick is right for what you're playing, personally.

edit--

I noticed in your profile it said your influences include Vic. Vic was influenced a LOT by Mr. Clarke (I'm pretty sure Vic's said in an interview that Stanley was his favourite bassist or something similar to that). Clarke is a lot less chops-heavy, but he has SERIOUS groove and some mean slap skills. If you don't listen to him yet, I'd definitely reccomend checking out his stuff as it seems right up your alley. His gear is mostly Alembics (including an ADGC tenor bass), but there's the odd Carl Thompson and a Ken Smith in there. R&B and jazz sound is a lot based around technique, but his Alembics are a big part of his sound -- and they seem like your best bet at the moment. Note that I have not had a chance to play the Peavey Cirrus, Spector, Carvin, or the MusicMan. I wouldn't advise the Fender, you tend to get more bang for your buck with other companies, but they're the only place to go if you want the Fender sound.