Help. I need a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassboy_2003667, Dec 30, 2001.

1. :confused:
    I am wanting a new bass. Right now I have a Squire p-bass. I liked it until the local music store messed with it and ruined it. I have approximently $400-$450 to spend on a new bass. I was looking at a Fender MIM standard P-Bass ($350) I play in a punk/rock band. Would a J-Bass ($390),be better? Or would anyone suggest a different brand completely? Thanks for your help guys.
  2. people will tell you to pick what feels best. The Jazz is more versatile. Most prefer the mexican jazz over the american, dunno why. Love the neck on the jazz.
    I ended up saving up (for a long time) and got a Stingray. Completely different feel from the jazz, even different from the P. But you really can't go wrong with the jazz IMHO.
  3. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Get a Fender P MIM! Great bass. Either that or a Korean Spector!
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, the p-bass has that "Sound", and they are all i have ever bought. But the jazz is more tone versatile. I think you would like the jazz. but the MIM p-bass has that god like p-bass tone.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like the Jazz sound myself... But I bet that the most are gonna vote for a P-Bass for Punk. There is a reason for that.
  6. ya don't necessarily need a P for punk...:p
  7. will a J-Bass give me that twangy sound?
    boost the highs and play near the bridge. also depends on your rig.
  9. hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    Depends on what you mean by "twangy" ---

I just got a new American J-bass deluxe, and I don't find it to be twangy unless I turn up the treble and high-midrange, or turn up the presense and treble EQ on my GK 1001.

I don't slap much - mostly finger pickin', so my musical genre isn't what you're after.

The MIM J-basses seemed to be brighter, the MIA J-basses seemed to be fatter/more mellow. Not sure if it's the active electronics or the different bass-woods in the MIA J-bass, but I bet it makes a difference depending on your style.

Has anyone really compared the MIA and MIM J-bass across different styles, and what did you learn? I got the MIA because I preferred the mellow sound, and the improved resale over the long-haul is a bonus.
  10. how much do you suppose a MIA J-bass would cost
  11. about $800 new for a jazz depending on the extras and if you can bargain with the dudes.
  12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think that you could use either for punk.if you mess with knobs and stuff you can get any sound.alot of punk bands use jazz,and alot use precision.rancid uses p,afi and millencolin use jazz.i play punk and i like the jazz more because the neck is so much more comfortable.and im small(5'3,100 lbs) and jazz basses are smaller.just play both and compare.and whenever your buying a new bass,play it through your amp so then you can hear exactly what it will sound like.if the store doesnt have it,bring your amp,they wont mind.theyll do anything for you to buy something.
  13. Like Frankencow said, the store won't mind if you bring your stuff in to test it out.
    You don't necessarily need a jazz or a P. You need what feels comfortable and has the sound you want. Try out the Deluxe P-Bass special, it has a J neck, with a jazz pick up on the bridge and a split p. The hot-rodded american version DOESN"T have the j-neck.
    Maybe even be different. I have a friend that plays in a punk band and he plays a Rickenbacker. I play a Stingray.
  14. With a little pokin` `round on da net you can find a nice NM condition MIA P bass for $500.00 or so(maybe less).A bit more will get you a NM MIA J bass.Buy used if you can dude,you really get the most for your money(assuming you buy from a reputable dealer/party).

The MTD Kingston is said to be an awesome ax....maybe a bit more than 5 bills new though...