Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, I need a new nut!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tehdouglas, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    I have a Jay Turser bass 402 like the one at the bottom of this page: http://www.jayturser.com/bass-guitars2.htm

2 questions

1) Where can I buy a new nut online with precut holes?
    2) How do I go about changing the nut?

Thanks!

2. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    Bump, anyone?

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    it is tough to buy a preslotted nut as basses are different from company to company. I'd just take it to a tech and have then install a new nut. I historically have paid about 40 dollars for this. But who knows, maybe I am wrong... maybe you can get one..

4. You are correct, nuts must be fitted to each instrument individually. Even the same model will vary from one to the next, and you want the slots cut to the right depth (both for intonation and playability) and the right spacing. Even a little tiny bit high, while not difficult to play may cause your notes in the first position to be sharp.

Find a reputable luthier in your area, you will be glad you did. Note the reputable part, there are a lot of charlatans disgracing the craft. Find the good ones and you and your instruments will be better off in the long and short runs.

5. thats the problem with balance beams, you fall once and:bawl: .

6. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I think a standard Jazz bass nut would fit that bass. I'm no expert luthier, but you could get one at most guitar shops for about $5 US.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA