Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!! I need a quick answer on my truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMisfit, Jul 11, 2001.

1. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Ok my bass was making a strange noise that I beleve was coming from the truss rod, almost like it was loose and rattling around in the neck! I stuck an allen wrench in their expecting to solve the problem and adjust it untill it stops buzzing but it didn't! And now I could have possibly F*cked up my neck, because I turned it counter clockwise. Now I am in far that I might have lossened it furher and my neck may start to qucikly bow or something. Please if you have any advice give it now, before my neck looks like a banna!

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You can't very well hurt the neck permanently by adjusting the rod counterclockwise. The result of loosening the rod would be more relief and higher action.

If you paid attention to how much you turned it, just turn it clockwise by that amount and you should be back where you started from. Be sure to loosen the strings first.

Pkr2

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If pkr2's input doesn't do it ---->

First off, loosen your strings big time. That's what putting the stress on your neck.

Second, are the music stores with repair techs still open at this hour in PA? (That would be my first stop).

4. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Thanks for the reply, but what should I do if the rattling is still there? I was there before I loosened it and its still there after I gave it a 1/4 turn!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It may be too late, but you should use 1/8 of a turn and let that setttle in for a while until you get really familiar with how your bass reacts to rod adjustments.

6. tighten = clockwise
    loosen = counterclockwise

try turning it clockwise, while pressing the allen-bolt down.

7. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    I think it needs tightened but the truss rod wouldn't turn that direction, and I didn't want to force it. IF I tighten too much could I make the neck bow the wrong direction thus ruining it?

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Better take Ricbass' advice. Take it to a repairman.

You can check out some of the hundreds of threads about truss rod adjustment by hitting the search button and entering "truss rod".

Don't turn anything untill you bone up on it a little.
    Make the right(wrong) mistake with the truss rod and your bass has had a bad day.

Pkr2

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - are you certain that the rattling is to do with the truss rod. I can remember a while ago with a bass, hearing rattling that sounded like it was coming from inside the neck and I was convinced it was the truss rod rattling about; but tightening it made no difference.

I took it to a tech at a bass shop in London and he explained it was the the fact that the nut slots were cut too deep and the strings were rattling behind the fretting position - it was just an illusion that it sounded "inside" the neck and he fixed it for me.