Help - I need a rackmount head!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok, I really need a rackmout head (1 or 2 spaces) with at least 400 watts. But (and I know it sounds like I want the world on s silver plate) But I can't spend more than $500 us... :( So what do I do?.. Where do I go?.. grrrrrrr... Ok, It doesn't need to have a compressor (I am getting a dbx) and I would actualy like to have a true solid state... well I hope someone can help...

Alex :confused:
  2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The Ampeg B2R is 350 watts @ 4ohms for about $550.
  3. Carvin RL600 or the RL1000....well, see if you can scrape up a few extra dollars....
  4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The carvin was one I was looking at - big time actualy (the 600) - but it has too many features... I am not "just using it for bass" but I love the way it looks and I love the price!...

But that ampeg is swwwweeeeeeet!!!! I thinks I wants to but that one!!!!! OH YOH!.. Just what I need... good price too.... and I love ampeg, so thanks man - oh but I am still looking for options - so keep them a comming....

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well actualy thats a good damn plan.... but I still need to know what to look for!!! actualy I do need somthing with 2 inputs (but not in a active/passive)... thanks...
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Used SWR SM-400S. It's not completely solid state but only uses one tube. It's a good value and normally goes on Ebay for less than 500. 2 spaces. I believe 400 watts at 8ohms, 500 at 4.

brad cook
  7. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    If you like the B-2, try the B-5R...

350w @ 4ohms
    500w @ 2
    Tons of other features...
    Also has a distortion channel, since you said you weren't using this for bass only...

Check out guitar center...haggle around with them. They sell new at for 600, but I got mine for 400 new by pulling the professional discount routine.

Otherwise, the B-2 is a great head.

Good Luck!
  8. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I saw a couple of Ashdown Mag-400s in the classified section going for under $500. Thats 500 watts @ 4ohms. Do a search in the classifieds section.
  9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What cab(s) are you running?

The Hartke 5000 is solid state bi-amp at 250w per channel at 4 ohms. It has a compressor and both solid state and tube pre-amps. :cool: Goes for a little over 500 new.