1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help - I need a rackmount head!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok, I really need a rackmout head (1 or 2 spaces) with at least 400 watts. But (and I know it sounds like I want the world on s silver plate) But I can't spend more than $500 us... :( So what do I do?.. Where do I go?.. grrrrrrr... Ok, It doesn't need to have a compressor (I am getting a dbx) and I would actualy like to have a true solid state... well I hope someone can help...

Alex :confused:

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The Ampeg B2R is 350 watts @ 4ohms for about $550.

3. Carvin RL600 or the RL1000....well, see if you can scrape up a few extra dollars....

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The carvin was one I was looking at - big time actualy (the 600) - but it has too many features... I am not "just using it for bass" but I love the way it looks and I love the price!...

But that ampeg is swwwweeeeeeet!!!! I thinks I wants to but that one!!!!! OH YOH!.. Just what I need... good price too.... and I love ampeg, so thanks man - oh but I am still looking for options - so keep them a comming....

Alex

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Buy used....

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well actualy thats a good damn plan.... but I still need to know what to look for!!! actualy I do need somthing with 2 inputs (but not in a active/passive)... thanks...

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Used SWR SM-400S. It's not completely solid state but only uses one tube. It's a good value and normally goes on Ebay for less than 500. 2 spaces. I believe 400 watts at 8ohms, 500 at 4.

brad cook

8. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    If you like the B-2, try the B-5R...

350w @ 4ohms
    500w @ 2
    Tons of other features...
    Also has a distortion channel, since you said you weren't using this for bass only...

Check out guitar center...haggle around with them. They sell new at musiciansfriend.com for 600, but I got mine for 400 new by pulling the professional discount routine.

Otherwise, the B-2 is a great head.

Good Luck!

9. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I saw a couple of Ashdown Mag-400s in the classified section going for under $500. Thats 500 watts @ 4ohms. Do a search in the classifieds section.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What cab(s) are you running?

The Hartke 5000 is solid state bi-amp at 250w per channel at 4 ohms. It has a compressor and both solid state and tube pre-amps. :cool: Goes for a little over 500 new.