HELP! I need an Upright for College

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by redfenderj, Aug 17, 2004.

1. redfenderj

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm 17, almost 100% sure I want to play upright for a living, and I am in the market for a carved double bass in the $2-4000 price range. I've been playing my highschool's old Kay for the last four years and I need something that isn't going to cost a fortune but is sufficient for college (as if college didn't cost enough by itself!) Any suggestions?
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    The Newbie Links can be really helpful for things like this, too. There's a lot of knowledge on this board, but you can't expect everyone to repeat it over and over. Check out what they've already said, you'll probably find good info.

Happy Hunting!
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Where are you located???
  5. redfenderj

Aug 12, 2004
    I like in Dekalb, IL... couple of hours drive from Chicago. My teacher says that If I look hard enough that I can find one in the city for a real deal but I was just wondering if anyone is in my kind of situation.
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    check out the for sale section, no relation to seller:

3/4 Carved DB for sale in Chicago

Looking to sell my bass. It's a 1960's era carved Hofner, in very decent condition. Good tone and playability. I have owned it for the last 25 years, and it is taken care of by a very good luthier. If interested you can email me for more information at . Thanks...
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Does the 4k include electronics [assuming you want @ least one pickup], bag, setup, and possibly a bow?

I think we're in similar situations ,I'm 18, except-my dad said he'd pay around $3500 for a bass for i asked him if we could it into a graduation, birthday, christmas present and he said that sounded good. So magically the bass i'm lookin at is a bit different. :D

Here's the basses i have looked at:

Engelhart ES1
    i think they go for around $1500 or so + all the extras and a good chance of needing a setup [or so i've heard].

Strunal Laminates-don't know model numbers/names. Check the newbie links for info about these.

The New Standard Basses
    LaScala and Cleveland-these are closer to the $4k mark. However, from what i've read here-they seem to be the best bass in the price range/laminate market. So-my Dad OKed one of's just a matter of deciding when he'll let us order it.

Best of Luck with all the bass endevours
  8. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I would put MOST of the $ toward the instrument. I was very impressed with Arnold's basses at the ISB convention last year. They are several cuts above anything else you've listed. Especially, the Cleveland Hybrid model. Sounds as good as most any fully carved jazz bass without the worry of a maple back that's going to swell with moisture in a humid environment. You can always find used pickups and amps for cheap.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN in Wheaton

Also look Up Greg Sarchet...he has a chicago bass club website with good info.