1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP I need help making my amp sound better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dstaudy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dstaudy

dstaudy

May 7, 2006
    I have an older (early 90s/late 80s) fender m-80 bass amp I got off craigslist for about 175 from some lady who was selling it because her son moved out. It is in pretty much brand new condition. It is 180 watts and it has one 15" speaker, your basic eq plus a chorus effect (lord knows why you'd want that...) and a compressor. I love how it sounds except when I need it to be really loud (around 6 or 7) I have the eq set up quite well for it but when I get to 5 on the volume and beyond it starts to get farty sounding on the low range. I play on an acoustic amp (newer model, quite nice) as well and its about the same power but it sounds better when it gets loud and it has a tweeter. This leads me to believe that the reason my amp sounds bad loud is because of the lack of tweeter (please correct me if i'm wrong i really need the help). Is there any way to install one? Please help its kinda driving me crazy :rollno:

2. It's simply running out of power, that's all. Try reducing the Bass control, should go louder without farting that way.

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    +1.

Installing a tweeter won't stop it from farting out.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sorry dude, it just doesn't have the juice.

5. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    you gotta reduce the low frequencies.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Yeah, the tweeter messes with the upper frequencies. You could put a better driver in there, but that can be a crap shoot.