Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! I need my bass by tomorrow and I have messed up the p/u mod.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I really need to get this pickup mod done to my bass as I have a rehearsal tomorrow (Tuesday) and this is the only bass I have.

My goal is to have one master volume and the jazz to run in series so that it has a deeper sound.
    This is what I have done based on what I believed to be SMASH's instructions in a previous thread (though I know now that I made mistakes).

1. unsolder the neck hot from the middle lug of the neck pot.
    2. unsolder the bridge ground from the back of the bridge pot
    3. connect the neck hot to the brideg ground and solder them together.
    4. solder hot from bridge pick up to middle lug on neck pot

Can you please tell me where I have made errors and how to fix it?

:help: :help: :help: :help:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, sounds right - depending what's in your harness. Series is obtained by connecting the hot from one pup to the ground of the other and connecting the other hot lead to the jack (through a pot, switch or whatever) while using the ground from it's opposite to the jack.

One way or another, the pups have to be connected properly through to the jack. If you're getting nothing, you don't have a complete circuit. And reportedly doesn't work for actives in general.

At any rate, you can always connect it back as it was to play the bass. It's usually not a prudent idea to take something new or untried into a setting where more than anything you want something familiar and reliable with no suprises.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, it looks right on "paper" but it unfortunately doesnt work. I must have made a mistake somewhere. Upon further inquiry SMASH said that i should leave the neck hot where it is, but then didnt give more details. Or maybe i am just not understanding his direction well enough :rolleyes:

Where, online, can i get a wiring diagram of the jazz in series?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You don´t have to look any further than in the Pickups FAQ at the top of this forum.

There you can find this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141764