Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! i need some answers on tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rhcp17, Mar 7, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    Well im pretty new here so if theres a better place for me to ask this, sorry. ive only been playing for a little over a year and im really into the chili peppers. But i dont understand the tab for mellowship slinky. Its tuning is different in three or so different parts to the same tab, im pretty young too so maybe im just stupid but id really apprechiate if someone could help me out with this song, just explain it. do i have to change tuning in the middle of the song, or just have different basses for all the different tuning parts? Sorry if this is a stupid question. But Thanks anyway

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ROACHP17,

Your compass appears to have read "South" when it should have read "North". Are you holding it upside down?

Off to BG General Instruction. Or destruction, whichever the case may be...

NOBODY'S DURRL

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have in front of me here, the official transcription of "Mellowship Sinky in B Major" which includes both standard notation and tab for Flea's bassline. This is the Amsco Publications complete guitar and bass transcription to "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik."

There is no change of tuning...none. According to the sheet music, the four string bass is in standard EADG tuning throughout the song. Also, there is no change of key.

Thus, I am perplexed as to why you have a tab that indicates that the tuning changes. Could you be misinterpreting chord symbols? Or could you be interpreting the letters in boxes (A, B, C, etc) as changes of tuning.

Those capital letters in boxes indicate divisions between intro, outro, solo, and other specific parts of the song. They tell you something is about to change, but do not indicate that you tune in A or B or C.

Please let me know where in your tab that states the tuning has changed in the song. I hope I can explain it to you to clarify what is stated..

One thing, though. If you are looking at Internet tabs, they are often heinously in error and notoriously unreliable.

4. Boplicity

Just one more thought, if you can give me the link to the tab you are using, I'll check it out. Maybe I'll be able to see where the tab is in error and help you with the correct tab or if you don't understand what the tab is saying, I can help you with that.

5. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    bobplicity you a nice guy, and nice take on american gothic i think ;)

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Actually, that'd be nice gal, but in general you're right - she tends to be very nice at all times.

7. Boplicity

Thanks for the kind comments, but I have moments when even I can't stand myself.:D

8. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    thanks guys i think i understand now, i guess it was just a stupid mistake, but the tab i was looking at was the one off of this site. At first it says e-a-e-g in the tuning part to the left of the tab but later on it saya e-a-d-g, and in the beggining it thought it was tuned e-a-e-a, but i get my mistakes now, you guys were a lot of help, i apprechiate it

9. Boplicity

I'd be willing to bet those are typographical errors. According to the official transcript of the song, the entire song has the bass tuned to EADC throughout.

Good luck learning the song and if you have any further questions about the bassline, don't hesitate to ask.