1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help! i need some distortion sound outta my 3pro

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bentfork, Aug 20, 2007.

1. any good pedal ideas or settings for the amp itself..i generally play an active 5 string. we are doing some niclkeback and audioslave and i don't sound anything like that at the moment.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Wait, are you not able to get any overdrive out of your amp?

Now's a good time to read the manual...

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Ampeg SVT3-Pro has some really good sounds in it, but the big growling SVT sound is not one of them -mostly to do with not having a tube-driven power amp. When I was using a 3-Pro, I found a lot of happiness with the EHX English Muff'n for added grit. A SansAmp BDDI might also be a good fit, depending on the sound you're looking for.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Well, there IS a tube driving the power amp, placed right behind it and its purpose is precisely to approach full tube growl.

This amp isn't meant to fully distort though but here is a tip :
    -Turn Tube Drive all the way down (to lower current on the plates of the 12AU7 and facilitate tube growl).
    - Turn on graphic EQ with Gain slider all the way up (to act as a clean boost).
    - Turn Gain until you get the desired amount of distortion.
    This will lead to a somewhat dark tone so you can either add in the 800-3000 Hz range or increase Tube Gain a bit to your taste.

5. All good points. While you can't emulate a vintage SVT sound, you can get a good growl from the III Pro.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Okay. I can't argue with that. What I meant was that the 3-Pro doesn't have a tube-driven power amp in the same manner that the SVT-CL/VR/2-Pro has. 12A_7 tubes do not sound the same as a six-pack of 6550's.

7. thanks for the tips guys

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Indeed.

9. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i own this head and i would like to push my preamp more to drive the preamp tubes a bit more... would this mess the preamp up at all? i would like to push it so the red light goes on. i dont want to ruin the amp though! i think maybe a tube pedal might be in order.

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I found that a fulltone bassdrive in front of a tube preamp in compcut mode works wonders for adding that thick grit

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I really liked what an EHX English Muff'n did with the 3-Pro. It basically adds 2 more preamp (12A_7) tubes to the signal chain that can be set for any level of grit you want. If you like the sound of overdriven preamp tubes, this sould be a good call.