HELP!!! I need strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Turd, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Turd

Jul 23, 2002
    Ann Arbor MI
    hey everybody out there!
    I just got a DB a few months ago and im really starting to not like the way the strings sound.I have no clue what strings are on it now but, i checked with the string identification thing and it brought up no clue to what they were but, im guessing they're Labella (the G has a red end and the top is brown, the other three have gold and blue ends. not sure about the tops though :D ) I play an equal amount of arco and pizz, mainly in the style of "primusy weird stuff" any help would be MUCH appreciated
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The gold/blue ones could be Helicore Orchestras.
    The G could be a Flexocor. (is it really red or ruby red?)
    If my guess is right, they're orchestral strings, so maybe you'd rather get brighter strings?
    Did you check the Newbie links at the top of the forum?
  3. I use Pirastro Obligatos on both my basses - I love them! I find them to be well suited for both arco & pizzicato. I think they sound great, and they seem to hold their tuning very well (takes about a week or more of stretching before they settle down, but definitely worth the wait). Other users have mentioned difficulties with Obligatos (check previous posts), however those problems might have been caused by careless installation.

Hope this helps -

- Wil
  4. Turd

Jul 23, 2002
    Ann Arbor MI
    it's really hard to say what i want because the only strings i've really heard are these strings. I think they have too much thump when i play pizz and when i play amplified it only gets worse. I have been reading the newbie stuff and still havent found anything that just jumps out and grabs my attention. I'd really like things to sound very clear on my bass, right now im not getting that. I've read alot of the sound characteristics of all of the string companies that you listed (francois) and i think the one that matches closely to what i like would be the super-sensitive pinnacle strings.Now how they actuelly sound and perform could be completely different but ya know...I do like the arco sound on the G string. Maybe it would help to figure out what kind of strings the others are to give me a starting point the E is green at the top, the A is dark blue (or black i cant really tell, damn this bad light) and the D is yellow/gold. As far as the bottoms go it could be blue with a gold spiral/yellow (im not sure how to tell the difference, kinda like having eight different kinds of green to choose from avacado, sea foam blah blah blah)

5. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The middle of the road stuff is Spiro med, Corelli forte, Obligato (thrawn in as notable newcomer), and Helicore orch. Apparently you have the latter, and the other three brands will be less thumpy and have more sustain. You should get a teacher, and also visit DB luthier/shops so you can try different strings. Talk to DB players in your area. Fill up your profile more specifically.