Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I need to find a new setup by Feb. 4!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well. I was under the impression that the band wasn't gonna do any gigs for a while, so I sold my amp and got me a Roscoe. Well.... it'll be here in a week if all goes accordingly. So what I'm going to have is: a Roscoe LG-3005 and an Ampeg BA112. This is not going to stack up against drums and two Marshall halfstacks both running 2 heads stereo.

So I'm talking with our singer/rhythm player yesterday, and he tells me we're playing a show on Feb. 4!!!!

I can go through the PA if i HAVE to, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Here's the kicker though: I'm only going to have $600-$800 plus whatever I can get for the Ampeg. A friend of mine might buy it from me for $200ish, so I might have around $1000. It's all riding on whether or not I can sell a 1964 Ford Falcon though.

I'm screwed.

I really don't want to get any really cheap stuff (i.e. Behringer). I'm considering getting a 410, 115, or 212 cab. I'm planning on getting something I can add onto in the future. I've considered Avatar cabs. I'm most likely going to try finding a used G-K head. I used to own a 400RB-III and sold it for a ridiculously low price (IMO). I've considered getting a G-K neo 212 or 115, but I'd have to sell the car for a reasonably high amount to be able to afford that and a head. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The cheaper, the better.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    ashdown mag and a 4ohm 2x12 Avatar might do you.... but that's a lot of guitar to fight for so little moneys.

Can you rent? How about a pawn shop peavey rig?

3. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yes, that is a lot of guitar..... too much guitar. Renting really isn't an option, all of the music stores around here suck (IMO). Unless I drive for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, all there are at store are peavey, fender, and ampeg combos. No heads, no cabs. Except for an Eden 212t and wt330. I remember seeing an ugly Eden 410t and 115t at a pawn shop for about $350 apiece. Whoever had owned them previously had the bright idea to remove the grills and replace it with zebra print (WHY!?!!!). I could maybe borrow an Ampeg BA115 from a buddy of mine, but that'd still probably not be enough.

I'm really considering an avatar 212 and that ashdown head that they have that special on.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Are there any TB'ers near you that would be willing to help a fellow low-ender in need? :confused:

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    What about GK 700Rb(new) and a used 4-10. Marshall stacks are alot to move through but the 700 rb that I have heard have been loud. $1000 should be plenty for this set up...oh and congtats on the Roscoe. :hyper: Please post pics when you can.

6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Oh, you know I'll post pics. IMO, it's one of the most beautiful Roscoes I've seen. But to each his/her own, right. It's koa/mahogany/koa, and has oval inlays, and a rosewood fretboa....... oh crap, now I've got off topic.

Trust me, I'd love to get a G-K head. I just don't know if I can afford it though. Ideally, I'd get a 400/700/1001RB-II (or IV in the case of the 400RB) plus a cab. I need to sell that car first though. Who knows the best way to sell a car?

Man, I'm missing my aguilar setup like mad right now.....

I was looking at some classifieds in my area, and I got a lead on a "pawn-shop peavey" 215 and a head. I sent the guy an email. I have to make sure that the head has a DI-----which is a must. 215's is a lot though to carry around every week.....

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if your combo has a preamp out you might be able to rent a poweramp from a local sound company. then all you'd have to do would be to buy a good cab. another option is to use you combo AND your pal's combo at that gig. those two combos should probably be enough, if not add a little of yourself to the pa and you should be fine. in fact, why don't you want to run thru the pa? is it just a bad pa? unable to handle bass? or some other reason?

8. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    it's not the greatest PA, and from past experience---it can't handle bass well, and the soundguys aren't that great ( :meh: ). I guess I'm going to start scouring the pawn shops over the next few weeks.

As far as I know, the combo doesn't have a preamp out. It's an Ampeg BA-112, does ithave one but I just don't know about it?

9. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :ninja:

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I hesitate to suggest this, because 99% of the time it's a bad idea, but just maybe you're the exception....

How's your credit? Any chance you might be able to get a CC with a $1000 - $1500 limit, grab some decent gear, and manage the minimum payments until you get the car sold, get a tax refund, summer job paychecks, something like that?

Credit can be a dangerous thing - but if used VERY carefully for a VERY specific purpose (and for a VERY short time), it can get you over hurdles such as these.....

11. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't think 16 year olds can get credit. Trust me, if I could, I would.

12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Actually, when I was 16, I had a credit card. Unsecured, too, and with a credit limit that was surprisingly high. That was a loooong time ago, though.....

Do understand - if you do find a way to go this route, be very careful not to spend any more than you have to, and be sure to pay it off as QUICKLY as you can.....

13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh yeah. After seeing what happened to my bro..... I'm almost not going to ever use a credit card. He's just getting out of debt now. After 10 years. Some people aren't even half as lucky as that either.

14. Hmmm....

Sounds to me like you need to chillax.

Step 1: Mic your amp and send that through the PA. If the soundguys can't do it, you can probably find someone in the audience who can figure it out. I've actually seen bands use that same amp to tour, and it is reasonably loud and sounds good.

Step 2: Tell the rest of the band not to get too loud. I have recently come to the conclusion that music sounds better when it isn't making your ears hurt. I know this is a bit counterintuitive, but it's easier to get a good tone and mix everything correctly at a lower volume. If you have any trouble competing with the drums, tell your drummer to play a bit more softly or use thundersticks (I don't know what else they're called). A good drummer should understand the situation.

That said, I do understand the desire to have a real rig. I just think that you should be able to make it through a gig or two with your Ampeg.

15. No need to panic, dude!! Keep your Ampeg for now, don't give it away just to get a little quick cash.

Just rent an amp for the evening, that's all you need to do. Call around to music stores and find out, you'll have to put down some cash for a deposit, that's all.

Also keep your eyes peeled for a used Peavey combo for a couple hundred bucks. I scored a 450 watt Peavey Databass (yep, 450 watts through a 15") for $225. Maybe not the best tone in the world but it's plenty good enough for bar gigs.

And it's wise of you to forego the credit card route...see my rantings in a credit thread elsewhere on TB... :D

16. 1001RB-II is $600.00 shipped from riksmusic.com and an Avatar B212 for $321.00 shipped. Comes in just under 1000 and you have 700watts and a 2x12.

17. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    For now I think I'm going to take jazzrounder's advice and chillax (is that in Webster's?). I don't even have the Ampeg yet, and I'm freaking out. I will most likely be OK, I just figure it's better to be safe than sorry. THe big thing is that we have to train in a new drummer before the show as well. I want him to be able to hear the bass during practice (as well as everyone else). I guess I'll wait until I actually have the amp until I decide what to do. If it's not loud enough, I'll get some old Peavey amp from the 80s. Part of the thing is that my band is anal about gear.*sigh. It's like nothing's ever good enough for them. b*ttheads :)D).

I'll see if I can sell the car and go from there.

18. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Dude, GK 800RB used + 4ohm Avatar 410 = about $650-$700
    Loud as s#!t. You don't need thundering low end to compete with guitars, you need midrange punch. :bassist:

19. Honestly if you're looking for a temporary rig don't overlook the peavey factor. I was perfectly happy with a peavey firebass and a tvx 8 ohm 410 cabinet for the last 2 years. Right now both of the pieces are sitting in the local music shop (next to the 15" I got rid of to make way for the usa deluxe fender jazz) and all 3 together would be in the $750 range. The stuff may not be high in demand and isn't the flashiest or most expensive thing you'll plug in to but for the money it's a workhorse and definitely had enough power to drop a couple jaws.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes, chillaxing is definitely the thing to do here.
    forget my poweramp renting suggestion - renting sucks unless you're going to make a good amount more on the gig than the rent is.
    i say see how your 12 does at practice - if the drummer is having trouble hearing it put it on a chair and point it at him - stand next to him if this leaves you unable to hear it too.
    at the same time, start hedging your bets now and secure a deal with your pal with the 15 that you can use his amp at the gig. using both should be simple, especially if one of them has a tuner out - plug into amp #1, run a cord from #1's tuner out to the front input of #2.
    and for more hedge, make sure that a mic cord exists for you (and a mic if neither amp has a direct xlr out or you dont have a direct box), and make sure there is an open channel on the pa. just cause the pa doesnt do bass well doesnt mean ya cant use it. cut the lows on that channel and just let the mids cut thru on the pa. chances are with the 2 amps you wont need it.

i'm taking your age in to account here big time as well. sell the car?? screw that. you do mean real car as in auto right? amps won't get you to practice, concerts, or to hot dates. Take your time and get an amp that you will be happy with for a long time. you didnt get a "settle for" bass, don't get a "settle for" amp. and look seriously at used. especially at the head or preamp/poweramp. check here, bassgear, e-bay, and ask here about specific amps you are considering before buying. cabinets are a bit riskier used, (speakers can take a lot of abuse and they do get old after a while) and i'd never suggest buying one without being able to try it 1st - (although i did buy one from tb's Nightbass who gave me one hell of a deal on a fantastic cab and was the most honest fellow this side of abe lincon).