Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! i need to know about jazz musicians that are also well known painters like....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Apr 9, 2003.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Help! i need info about musicians that are also well known painters like Miles davis. I really need this info!

thanks

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Miles Davis was also a painter?
    I learnerd something new today - thanks man.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Victor Bailey paints. I have seen a couple of his paintings at the bass collective.

I will let you know if I can think of anyone else.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Tony Bennett is an avid painter, and some of his stuff is quite good. Not sure of too many other jazz musicians/painters, but there's a ton of rock musicians/painters.

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    well, i need musicians that paints with music specially if is experimental music, i have an examen about how the sound can be taken as a symbol, but i need to show it, and there is no better way that to mix it with abstrac figures that will take the spectator to emotions, and those concepts i need to take them to symbols.... so i need to re- search informations that will help me to make a great work.
    thanks for your help
    :D

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Joni Mitchell paints, but purists would dispute whether she's 'jazz'...

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Something that's always bothered me is how people say they "paint with sound" or they "paint with lyrics." No, you paint with paint. People say it as if there's more legitimate creativity in what they do unless they associate it with something that is historically symbolic of art and creativity. Sorry, just something that gets on my nerves (as a painter and musician).

8. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uh.... i forgot to mention that this info is for my sis. I told her that talkbass is always a good source of info, and she wrote this thread.

do you know names of (known people, or with a web page or things like that)people who say that?
    ---------- nice conklin by the way! :D

thanks for the answers.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Captain Beefheart...again he's not jazz, but he doesn't even do music these days, just paints.

Saxophonist Jane Ira Bloom just released a CD inspired by Jackson Pollock called "Chasing Paint".

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most of the people I've heard speaking like that are just normal folks; don't really know of anyone famous-sorry. Oh, and thank you :)

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I believe that Charles Mingus painted....