1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION FAST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by youngmanhood, Oct 21, 2010.

1. youngmanhood

youngmanhood

Dec 13, 2009
    so i have an option to get a near mint 1976 ampeg V4B and i was wondering how it stacks up next to the classic... better? worse? I play rock n roll very much in the vein of the kinks, the stones, creedence clearwater... and more modernly old kings of leon and the strokes... ive heard a lot of great things about the v4b for rock n roll i just was wondering if i could have my cake and eat it too :)

for a sound references of what im going for check this out:

basically all the bass on the albums "youth and young manhood" and "aha shake heartbreak" by kings of leon

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The kind of music you do can be done with any decent amp.

The Vb4 is a fine amp, if you like schlepping all that mass.

3. youngmanhood

youngmanhood

Dec 13, 2009
    if it sounds good all schlep the day tired my friend :)

4. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Um...

If you're asking which to get... the '76 V4B or the "Classic V4B" version from the 90s... I would get the '76 100 times out of 100. The 90s were not Ampeg's best years.

The '76 might need a bit more maintenance, but it's worth every penny IMHO.

5. youngmanhood

youngmanhood

Dec 13, 2009
    the one im looking at is from the seventies its a 1976

6. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Right. Understood.

Then what do you mean by "how it stacks up next to the classic..."

What amp are you asking to compare it to? SVT Classic? (totally different animal)

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I'm not sure, if you're talking SVT Classic, it'd depend on how much power you need. I'd think the V4B's a good pick. One thing to keep in mind though is that V4B is non-master.

Also, weight-wise V4B is marginally lighter than an SVT.

8. V4Bs are a little less than half the power of an SVT so if you have loud guitar player(s) and/or dummer, you might want to opt for an SVT. If they're relatively quiet, go for the V4B.

As a point of reference to "loud" my guitar player plays a 100W V4 into 8-12s & my drummer hits hard as hell so I'm pretty positive I couldn't get by with a V4B... My Bassman 135 into my Ampeg 810 didn't cut it and they have similar power output.