Help! I need to replace my Markley flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by So Low Bass, Sep 4, 2009.

1. :help: Mine are getting nicked at the frets... they're about 4 years old. The problem is that I think Markley doesn't make them anymore. I can't find them on their own website.

I come from a classical background and I like the attack up front, like a double bass. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to check out my youtube site (below) to hear what I'm trying to replace, and pile on some suggestions. Thanks.

2. Have you ever tried Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats?

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    You would like TI Jazz Flats or Labella Deep Talkin Flats FL

4. What gauge were you using? I believe you could go to the lakland, ghs or one of the other well known makers. I miss the Dean Markley flats also. They were the smoothest flats around, tan winding, right? I believe most of the other makers were the same tension. Just not as smooth of a finish. The laklands remind me of the ghs flats, very nice. Good luck!

5. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    You might like a lighter set of LaBella Deep Talkin'.
    I use the 52-110- but they darker than the tone you are getting.
    You sound good. Really good. I like that tone a lot.

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Just from looking at your videos, it looks like you have a pretty enthusiastic right-hand attack to get your sound, with the strings you have. I'm guessing, but they seem to be fairly stiff strings. I think the TI flats would have a more mellow sound, but would have a very up-front voice compared to what you have now. The TI Jazz flats would sound great on the music you do, but you would have to adjust your right hand to account for their tendency to speak with little coaxing, if that makes sense. They put out a lot of sound with a light touch. Maybe just what you need, or not.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If the Dean Markley's are anything like the ones I had, they are very high tension and have almost zero sustain. I would recommend Fender flats in the same gauge.

8. Thanks for all of ideas. I'm using Markley Mediums 50-105. On the videos: I the bass off the amp more than I would in a band situation (and do not use the hummer).

So, no more Markley flats?

9. Well, here I am, a half year later. I'm really of the McCartney school when it comes to strings..."The long shiny ones". I swapped a set of DRstrings high beams for a lesson for my student. They're mediums and there are things I like about them: They're smooth to the touch, and have a nice sustain/growl to them. BUT, they don't have that punch up front.

How about La Bella 760M? What about the "long black ones" like Sir Paul used on "Let it Be" (and probably Abbey Road)? Do I want a heavy guage??

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I like the tone you get on the clips, and there are one or two clips you've put up that are very clean that really display the natural sound of those flats.

I would say Labella 70FLs will give you the closest sound, and maybe the Fender 9050M or ML. The TIs won't give you that DB-like attack and thump, and aren't as dark sounding.

Apparently Markley did discontinue those strings. Pity, I never got to try them. I remember one or two people mentioning really liking them for their string-to-string tonal balance, very evenly matched.

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, if you want that sound you have on your clips, La Bella 760FL or 760FS, or GHS Precision Flats 45-105.

You do not want TI Jazz Flats if you want that sound.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021