Help! I scratchd my eye....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Aug 26, 2005.

1. well...yesterday before i went to bed i took my contacts out and scratched my eye. it was my first day of high school today and at 10am i had to leave cuz it was getting out of hand. I went to the doctor imidietly. he told me i scratched my eye and gave me two things to put in my eye. he said by tommorow i should be fine, unless it gets infected. i have an appointment at 7:45 in the morning tommorow for them to check my eye. eyes are really sensative to light and he recomended me to keep my right eye closed forthe majority of the day. guys have any comments, advice, or stories to tell? thanks!
  2. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    that sucks..........hope it gets better man. closest story i got is yesterday (second day of highschool for me) my contacts were bothering me so i took em out and put my glasses big deal.
  3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Haven't scratched my eye before (knocks on wood), but have had contacts stuck to eye. I took a shower with my contacts in, and after you get out, almost all the moisture between the contact lens and your eye gets dried out. Your eyes burn and look bloodshot, and you have to very carefully (and painfully) take the lens out.

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've scratched my eye several times. Always at work. Once I did it pulling apart cardboard boxes. I pulled hard, and when it gave, the corner of the box went right into my eye. I wasn't "light sensitive" but the light refracted when I was looking through that eye. It was normal again after 24 hours.
  5. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I burned myself, I scratched my eye??? offense but, come on! You're a bass player!!!!!!
  6. when i was younger my little brother through a video tape (in case) at me, and the plastic corner went in my eye and cut it, that hurt a tad

7. have no idea how much pain i was/am goes on and off. its close up their with the worst/morst uncomftroble feeling ever. i hate it cuz its just like somethings in your eye, but you cant get it out, and its constant(most of the time). Let's hope I'm better by tommorow.
  8. Oh, man - I understand what you're going through - you have my sympathy!

Here's my story (long, so scroll down if you don't want to read…):

Just over a year ago, I was at a friend's house, and he has (or had) a Myer's Parrot - a bird about the size of a blue-jay, which he lets fly free in the house - if you can imagine a 2-year old with a pair of 1" dykes - the bloody beak on this this is a fearsome thing - just take a look at the wood trim in his house! Well, I'd been there most of the afternoon, and the bird had kept out of my way, but as I was about to leave it flew into my face, and I really thought it had taken out my right eye! Intense pain, and blurred vision - rushed to the nearest emergency medical centre - everyone just about to go home, but the doctor took a look at it, and diagnosed a very badly scratched cornea, and sent me to the nearest large hospital (Mass Eye & Ear in Boston) - the EMT had given me some eye drops, which helped, but I waited nearly 5 hours to see a doctor. Diagnosis - badly scratched cornea, treatment, ointment & eye drops etc. Luckily I didn't have my contacts in - the doctor explained to me that the reason why it was so painful, is that there are an enormous number of nerves in the eye, and although painful, it does mean that it's very quick-healing - she was right - it took me a day or so for normal vision to return, and after a week or two, everything was back to normal (thank god!). So, I know exactly what you're going through - that 5 hours in the waiting room was the most intensely painful, harrowing experience I've ever been through! Well, it could have been a lot worse - I could easily have lost my eye!

Sequel: About six-months later, I was visiting the same friend, and as usual the bird was out. Well, the bird flew at me a couple of times, and my friend said that he would put the bird in his cage… but he never did… Eventually the bird flew at my face, and I swatted it to the ground - and killed it… It was an instinctive, natural reaction, and of course I left at once - I did receive a phone call from the owner of the bird saying that if I ever came to his house again, he would "…put my lights out…" - I did point out to him that his bird had very nearly succeeded in doing just that…

I did send him a letter apologising for the loss of the bird…

The guy hasn't spoken to me to this day…

Well, I'm sure you'll recover quickly - just make sure you follow the doctor's instructions. The other thing is that you can pretend to be a pirate - eye-patches are way cool!

- Wil
  9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah, I think I might be able to make you feel better.....

Many years ago (when I was a stupid kid), I was grinding on some car sheetmetal with no eye protection. You guessed it, a sliver of steel went into my eye.

Didn't bother me too much that night. By the next day, it was aggravating. Couldn't get a doc appointment until the day after that.

Yep, you have a small metal sliver in your eye, the doc tells me. Hold still while I pull it out..... so far, so good.

Then the kicker..... "it has started to rust in your eye. Put your chin on this frame while I scrape away the rust.... don't move, don't blink....." :eek:

So look at it this way...... if you did scratch your eye with your contact, at least you avoided the disturbing "scrape away the rust" phase......
  10. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    that happened to me once except i waited a day and had to actually go to the emergency room it really sucked. hope it feels better
  11. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Bird killer! :eek:
  12. but I did say I was sorry…

- Wil
  13. welll today i went back to the doctor and he said it didn't heal that much. so he put me on some other medicine. i have another appointment on monday. im hoping it'll be good by then.
  14. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    your high school starts in august???
  15. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    almost the exact same thing happened to me a couple years ago except it was my sister and she hit me with the video rather than throwing it. it hurt like a mother at the time and i had a shiner for months. I actually got another shiner in the same eye last year when i was in a mosh pit and i still have a little bit of blackness under my eye from the two of them. It basically looks like im always tired in taht eye which is kind of annoying but i dont really mind.
    and the moral is:
    watch out for siblings with video tapes.
  16. too right, but, i mean i got hit in the eye, the surround didnt bruise at all, my eye just started bleeding!

but aye, hurt like a bitch

Its usually my chin that gets it in the pit, when some small person bounds up and down and cracks me there, the one downside of being 6'4", the upside being you pick them up and make them go crowd surfing if they want to or not :p
  17. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have a carpenter friend... and at one job he was doing, hit a nail wrong, and it flew into his eye, and stuck there. Had to go to the ER to have it removed and what not. Amazingly, he didn't lose a single thing, still has 20/20 vision and such. Also, he's a big advocat on eye protection now :p.
    Hope all's well.

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I used to wear my extended wear contacts for like 3 weeks at a time. One evening my eyes started to tear and would not stop. Went to the doc, found out I had corneal ulcers. Had to stop wearing lenses for 6 months. Used the drops, corneas healed, now I am back to wearing lenses again. But now I wear disposables and I take them out EVERY night and put them back in in the morning.

Don't worry, you will heal. Just keep using the drops.

19. sadly yes.

and today when i woke up i am alotttttt better. I can keep my open and it doenst sting or anything. the only problem is my vision is slightly blurred, and my eyes kinda red. thanks guys, you really helped me alot. :hyper:
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Best story Ive read in a long time.