1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP I SCRATCHED MY BASS

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wildo3000, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    Help i scratched my fender j bass while raising the action of my bass with the allen wrench. WHAT SHOULD I DO???

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Don't sweat it. It doesn't affect the playability or sound, so why worry? It's a musical instrument, mean to be played, not a priceless piece of art to be oogled over.

I know the feeling though, of scratching a new bass. It's nice to get the inital "blemishing" over with though, so you can focus on the tone and feel rather than the look.

Just try to keep in mind what is most important. Feel and sound or the cosmetic appearance?

3. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    Leave it. It's called a character mark.

4. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    its a bit visible from some angles.... and this topic should be moved><

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Don't sweat it. Chock it up to mojo.

6. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    It's like praying for that first parking lot door ding on your brand new car. Then you can stop worrying about it.

7. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    well i kinda want to get rid of it...is there any way to??

8. Is anyone else very glad that (in the Title) he included the character 'B' in there??? :smug: :bag:

9. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    Sure there is. How much are you willing to spend? You could have the entire thing repainted.

10. What colour is it? - sunburst is the only colour your gonna have problems with...take it to a guitar shop, give the guy $50 or something and they'll sort the ding only out for ya...

11. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    black w/white pickguard and a chrome control plate

12. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    sorry for double posting but it's also kinda in the finish, not the paint..as in u can feel the scratch

13. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    You should just be able to be able to give it a good buff and polish and you probally won't even be able to see it.

14. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    ahh if it was one of those basses that are wood and that you have to wax every so often then you could have "steamed" the ding out.

If it isn't through the finish then you could probably get some buffing compound buff it out by hand.

If it is in the finish then maybe get your hands on that nail polish looking bottle that car companies give you to do minor touch ups for your car.

Otherwise, leave it and it will add to its character. After a couple dings or wear marks from playing you wont even care.

It is just a tool to express your musical abilities and talent. HOW you play is what should be flawless and beautiful.
    That is all.

15. Wait'll you bash the headstock into the edge of a cymbal. You'll forget all about that little ding. What if you pay to get it fixed and then ding it again right away? Just play and forget it.

16. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    It's the first of many... Get used to it...

;)

17. You'll get use to it.

I use to not let anyone or anything touch my bass.

"The carpet will put scratches on it!"
    "Did you cut your fingernails!? Stop scratching it!"

Now, I'm banging it around and having more fun.

(I still use 100% cotton guitar cloths to clean it... I'm not a total monster! :smug: )

18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Take the first ding as a blessing. You no longer have to worry about it, now you can just play it.

I know a guy who bought an expensive and amazing bass that sounds so beautiful and plays so nice that they keep it in the case for fear of scratching it. I offered to put a ding in the bass for him so he can just get over it and enjoy his bass.

19. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    "Chicks dig scars."

20. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It's not worth the time, money, or effort to have the scratch removed. It's character, and it's going to happen again. Your instrument still works just as before... enjoy it just as before.