Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by aqatc, Jul 5, 2002.

1. aqatc

Jul 4, 2002
    USA, Milpitas, CA
    I've only been playing bass for about 2 months and I don't want to pay someone $80 for 2 hours a month. Can someone help me out?

If so, email me, leave a reply, or call me at (408)263-8485
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sure, find a cheaper teacher.

Seriously, $180 for 2 hours a month? That's borderline exhorbitant. Out of curiosity, who gave you a quote like that?

You can easily find teachers who will charge $20 for a half hour, and even cheaper than that. That's what I paid, and I thought it was worth every penny. Check local guitar stores, as well as the yellow pages. You can also call local colleges and universities, sometimes you can work something out there as well. A lot of grad students and music majors I know give lessons to chip away at tuition costs.

Think of it as the best investment you can make for your bass playing.
  3. man ***. i posted this great post with all sorts of good tips and good ideas to help you out man. but for some reason its gone. :mad:

iguess i messed up somewhere. dang it was helpful too it took like 15 min to write :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

oh well
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think you're getting it in the rear there buddy.. My voice and bass lessons combined don't cost that much... ok well maybe they cost a bit more than that... but $80 a half hour?? thats outrageous
  5. I think he edited the post; it was a typo, $80per two hours, not 180.

Money is important. I never had lessons (well 3 lessons after I was already in groups in school and at home that i learned veritable nothing at)

My advice, Learn as much as you can from talkbass. Take some time to read as much as you can in general instructino and technique, as well as the other forums.

Also, check out

Good Luck!
  6. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    he only said 80 for 2 hours...which isn't bad, about 20 bucks a half hour. thats a good number, considering most teachers go for about 15-20 per half hour where im from. some need to charge that, because if you go to school for 4 years you would want money too. you have to understand something: that is their source of income, and you do get what you pay for, in most cases.
  7. ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    hey man even for 15-20 bucks for 1/2 an hour the lessons are worth it in the long run, but you can always buy a good teach yourself book for that price.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    oh my mistake.. sorry. i thought it was $80 an hour. well $20 for 1/2 hour lessons ain't bad.. not at all. if he is a good teacher, it will be worth it in the long run.
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I pay $16 for each 1/2 hour lesson and it's definitely worth every penny. I know I'd still be sucking way more than I do now if I hadn't done lessons.
  10. It looks like they said $80 for 2 hours per month. That would be $20 per 1/2 hour which isn't too bad.