HELP!! i think i killed my SWR amp!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by A Rock, Oct 8, 2002.

  1. A Rock

    A Rock

    Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i was practicing with my band then all of a sudden...the cones in the cabinet start shaking back and forth makin a noisy sound and the smell of burnt rubber filled the room.

    what happened?
    how much do u think it will cost me to fix this problem?
  2. Touch


    Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Burning smell bad.

    I would give SWR a call/e-mail. I would doubt that it could be fixed for less than $100.

    Good luck.
  3. It might help if you told us what your settings were, and if you had changed anything.

    Also, it may be useful if we knew exactly what head and cab you are using.
  4. this is a sad day......................................
    Messing with broken bass cabinets is like messing with my emotions....... :(

    My first guess was that you overloaded your speakers with the amount of power you were using. But yes, please contact the company and please give more detail so we can help.

  5. A Rock

    A Rock

    Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    my settins were at 75% master volume 75% gain
    ..i think i overloaded it when i hit the effects pedal
  6. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Effects or not, you had the gains set awful high.
  7. jasonbraatz


    Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's way into the clipping zone for the bass 750, so it'd start putting out more power than it's rated for. way more. especially if you hit an effect pedal that added distortion or something, causing the speakers to square wave (they don't like that) and overheat.

    *** were you doing that you needed your amp up that loud?!
  8. Hmm? What? Sorry...didn't hear's like there's a little ringing noise going on...