Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I think I may have a blown speaker on my SWR Redhead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Dec 23, 2002.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I feel kinda dumb having to post here, but I've never blown a speaker in over 20 years of playing.

Here's the deal - I'm getting a farty, distorted sound when I really dig in at high volume, and some 'popping' sounds. Note that although this happens at high volume, this can be at levels where neither the pre or power amp clip lights come on at all (pregain at around 1:30 and master at 2-3 o'clock, for anyone with intimate Super Redhead knowledge). With master volume at noon this goes away, and at 1-2 o'clock it's only beginning to be noticeable.

Anyway, I suspect I've got a speaker that's beginning to go. Haven't ascertained if it's one or both of the 10s, but can anybody confirm my suspicions?

[edit - I just tried running through just my 8 ohm Goliath III cab - lower volume than the 4 ohm internal speakers, naturally, but no evidence of the problem, even running them into a wee bit of power amp clipping]

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    It could be several different things. I'd first turn the horn off and see if it still does it. Then I'd try to narrow it down to one speaker. If you can do that, pull that speaker and check and make sure that the wiring terminals are secure on the speaker leads. If that looks OK you may want to pull a speaker out of your Goliath III and replace that speaker in the Redhead (please not wiring carefully and make sure that speakers are the same impedance). If you can't determine which speaker it is you could disconnect one at a time internally (be careful not to overdrive it!). I will warn you however, several years ago I had a GK rig that sounded similar to your problem. It turned out to be a bad PCB mount input jack. Good luck

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    After a discussion with the service manager at SWR, I headed back to Guitar Center (2 hours drive!) because this was the straw that was breaking the camel's back... I bought the Redhead in October and noticed that it looked like it had been around the block a time or two. I had a few minor problems, but a blown speaker(s) was just too much. SWR verifed my suspicion - the amp I just bought 'new' was made back in '98! They also agreed after a bit of conversation that the speakers were probably beginning to go.

Anyway, Guitar Center was ready to accomodate my suggestion that they take the thing back and give me store credit. I came home with an SM900 :D

I would have settled for them getting the speakers replaced (SWR is understandably hesitant to replace blown speakers under warranty). I know I didn't abuse the amp in the two months I'd had it, but there's no telling what it had gone through over the past 4 years - so I would be angry about having to pay to replace speakers that were about to go when I took delivery of a 'new' Redhead. Anyway, Shane, the manager at GC in Houston really stepped up to the plate - I suggested the store credit but didn't really expect to get it - I am quite pleased and must say I am a very satisfied GC customer :)

4. And your experience further confirms my suspicion that this is a "common practice" at all the "Big-Box" stores. And people wonder how they can "offer" such generous/liberal return policies. Most of those returns have been used (and abused) a lot. And most of those used returns are slipped back out on the floor to be sold as new. I'd be skeptical of anything purchased from most stores these days.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Anyway, Guitar Center was ready to accomodate my suggestion that they take the thing back and give me store credit. I came home with an SM900

Sounds like everything worked out. It is a shame that GC would even sell the amp to you without providing the history behind it. I guess we should always be a little cautious when purchasing NOS equipment. All's well that ends well though! Now GC can figure out the problem! Hopfully they won't just pass it on to some other unsuspecting victim!:eek: