Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!!! i want a 5-string!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by actinglikeafreak, Jun 11, 2001.

1. 5 string Bass

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. 4 string Bass

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 4 string Bass in Dropped-D tuning

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Any one of the above

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    I'm in a funk-rock band and in a heavier punkish band but i dont play with picks, and since both guitarist play in dropped-D tuning and i hate to drop my bass to that one, i thought that it might be better for me to buy a five string instead of my earlier plan to buy another four string. Since i slap and pop with a very unusual style, or so told to me by my friends, when i slap on my strings when dropped to D i dont get a clear sound, plus we cover other songs that makes it difficult for me to play different notes i.e. thirds, fifths, octaves, etc.

My guitarst says thati should just buy another 4 stringer and just leave one of them in dropped D, but since my other bass is getting all rusty and old and yucky i just figure since a 5 string is the same with the obvious exception of another string added, i just might buy another 5 string.
    anyway back to my question, will a 5 string play good with a band, with the guitarist playing a 6 string guitar in Dropped D?
    Im pretty experience with 4 strings but when i play with the 5 string im consening to buy (Ibanez or Rickman, by the way) i rarely use the fifth string, is this normal?
    Is it ok to change basses this quickly since im almost glued to the four string experience?
    Does anybody here play slap bass and use a five string, it would really help.
    Thanx

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I think this is usual.
    I didn`t use the b string soo much when I started playing 5ers, too, but I found out, that it´s something great for fill-ins and stuff like that.

As you seem to slap very much, I believe that you might want a fiver with a broad string spacing.

In that case, I would recommend the Squier P-Bass Special 5.

I own it, and love it. Pretty tight, usable B string, and very good for slapping.

David

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would get a 5 string with wide string spacing.

You might find yourself using the low B only occasionally at first, but as you learn new ways to incorporate it, such as playing in F at the 6th fret of the B string instead of the 1st fret of the E string, etc, you will find yourself using it more and more.

How much money are you looking to spend?

The Squier that David mentioned is a good entry level 5 string, but for a little more money there is the Guild Pilot series, the Ibanez BTB series and the MTD Kingston, all fairly low priced 5's that are quite a bit better than the Squier.

By the way, Welcome to Talkbass!:)

4. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    thanx by im not looking for another squier, i wanna experiment.....
    well im looking into spending some 500-700 such, cuz im also gonna buy some pedals (Phasers and Fuzz, any help with those would be appreciated) and i saw and played around the store and played with some Ibanez series and some fenders, i didnt like the fender's fifth string, i dunno i just didnt "feel it". i loved the ibanez cuz it had a 3-band EQ system and a split coil pickup and a single coil, the tone was good and the slap was nice but im just undecided cuz my squier's getting rusty and i might need another bass, Rickman was good but the 5ers were a bit expensive, does DR have nice slap strings for 5 stringed basses
    thnx

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, I agree that a 'wide five' would be your thing. I just bought Yamaha BBG5S(around 450 bucks BTW) which has quite wide spacing and is great bass for the money.

If 450 bucks is too much for you, Yamaha BBN5 should be pretty much as cheap as fivers come.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, that droptuning thing on a four never worked for me. The solution for me was to go to a five, so that might work for you too. If you can stretch a little, you could pick up a Carvin LB75 for under a grand (shipped, with case). Been pretty happy with mine.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are spending $500 - $700, you should try out the following 3 basses.

DeArmond Pilot Pro(around $450), Ibanez BTB405(around $550) and the MTD Kingston 5(around $500).

The Pilot and BTB are the most versatile, and the Kingston and BTB have the best B strings.

All 3 are really good basses for the price, and much better than the Ibanez Soundgear 5 stringers.

Here are pics and links:

Can't find a pic of the Pilot Pro 5, here is the 4 string version.

[​IMG]
    Pilot Pro info

Here's a pic of the BTB405.
    [​IMG]
    BTB info

Here's a pic of the MTD Kingston 5.
    [​IMG]

I was going to post an info link to the site http://www.mtdbass.com/ , but it appears that their site is having problems. It is asking for a Network Password.

Anyway, I think that you should definitely check these 3 basses out.

The MTD and the Ibanez are the 2 best 5 strings under $1000 in my opinion.

8. i've said this a million times, but look for a nice used bass. I found a Warwick Streamer Standard five for $605 on ebay. It has the tightest B on a 34" scale I've played so far. It does have pretty tight spacing, though. Something like that might work for you, or maybe a MIA Fender Jazz. They're pretty versitile. The Kingston is nice, but you only have one sound with it. It's a good sound, though.

9. the best 5er with wide neck spacing is the new Epiphone Les Paul. It sounds real good, it's $200 and has the wide neck spacing.

10. You got another vote for the BTB here. Try and play a BTB515 too, they come in the Walnut finish. Dunno how much more expensive they are though.

As for the playing style, there's a D at the 3rd fret of the B string:D

11. I'll agree with the BTB405. Played around on one...now I desire a used one..if I can find it. Haven't played a 5 string pilot, but did play (and was impressed by) a 4 string pilot pro. If the 5 string remains as decently balanced, and well constructed (passed the business card under the frets check, messed around w/ some Stingray 5's that failed this test in a couple places...ouch).

And I know everyone hates them. Tobias Pro-5. I know the quality/sound isn't pre-gibson, and everyone thinks the string spacing is to close. But you know what? Of all my basses that I've had, played, etc. The tobias gets the most complements, is the best for quick playing, slap, and the B works great. Don't get me wrong, the p/u's aren't the best, but I make the thing work just fine. And that's all that matters:) That thing has fit like a glove from day one.

But now w/ the MTD Kingston, I'd be intersted in trying one of them out. I'd order it w/o a pickguard though....

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I do much slapping with my 5. However, I have to hold back a bit on the B. I have to be a little more deliberate on how I hit it.

13. Actinglikeafreak, listen to the nice people here.
    I haven't played a Pilot or a Kingston, but the BTBs are unbelievable! Try one!

As far as pedals go, I have a phaser and a flanger. The flanger, I find is much more versatile. I used to use it only with my fretless(like ketchup on a hamburger) but started using it with my fretted basses. I think you'd like one.

PanteraFan, the BTB515 runs about $850.00 with a case.

Enjoy,
    Mike J.

14. I have a hell of a time trying to slap on a 5-string for some reason. I can't ever reach the E string!

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want one like this.

16. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My opinion is to go 5 string and look for a solid used bass. I think you'd find an MIA Jazz 5 or Am Deluxe Jazz 5 a solid bass for you needs. eBay is a great resource for these instruments.

Happy hunting and try a bunch out.

Bones

17. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I am casting a vote for the MTD. I have played both the 4s and the 5s, and both are excellent. I really wish they made a 6! A MTD kingston 4 with a hipshot detuner would be a sweet metal/funk bass. So would a MTD 5. I guess it depends on what you want and feel comfortable with...

18. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I say go for the Ibanez BTB405. Very good feeling and playing bass. I love the wide string spacing, feels good to my hands. It's pretty versitile with the 3-band EQ and the mid-range sweep. I got it used for $399 :)

(My only problem is the damn strings that the person using it before me put on it - GHS Boomers, blah)

19. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    thanx everybody, youve all answered and helped me out ALOT ill try Ebay and see if i find a good bass either 5 or 4 stringed, also there are some BTB's in my music store here so i can buy one closer and better quality, thanx everybody!!

20. Loucks

Loucks

Jun 10, 2001
    Well, not to sound like a broken record, but Dave Pushic can build a 5 string standard for $600. You might look into it. http://www.dpcustom.com
    you might not get a lot of bells and whistles for that low of a price, but its bound to be a nice instrument.