1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help ID strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I checked the quinn site but could not come up with a match.

Attached Files:

2. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I think those are D'addario Helicore Orchestral strings.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yep

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks.

Kevinlee

5. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    And I think that they are Lights, according to the Quinn String Identifier.

Note that for the QSI to work for these strings you have to specify a "ring color", which in the case of these strings is gold. For the ball end, Navy/Gold Spiral.

6. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Actually, I think the QSI is not quite right in the head after all with respect to the Helicores. By the way, I now think your strings are Mediums, not Lights.

I had put gold as the ring color because of the short bits of gold-only down at the ball end. However, after looking at the silk color chart at http://daddariobowed.com/Silk_Color_Chart.pdf I realized that for the QSI to be able to identify the various gauges of Helicores, the ring color must refer to the peg end of the string.

However, the QSI doesn't completely get this. It fails when trying to ID what should be shown to be Helicore Mediums if you put "None" for ring color (as is the case for Mediums). On the other hand, if you say that the ring color is Gold, they will be identified as Lights, and if you say Red, Heavies (though in the silk chart the Heavies look more pink to me).

I'll point this out to them - they invite feedback from users of the tool.

7. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks, that string id thing works great when it's simple, but when it get's into multiple colors and rings and spirals etc... it gets a bit confusing. I tryed various combinations and came up with nothing. So I figured the folks over here would be able to tell me just by looking at them.

Kevinlee

8. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I got a note back from a gent at Quinn that said they are about to rework the tool, and he expects that this glitch with the Helicore Mediums will be fixed once they're done with that.

So, I take it that you've got these strings as a loaner/used set, and want to try them? I currently have a set just like these on the bass I'm using at the moment. They're not bad. As the name suggests, these strings are made for bowing and what I call "orchestra pizz". If you're e.g. a jazz player, they may not have enough sustain to suit you.

I'm not usually a steel string player, but my current bass is a borrowed one, so I'll wait until my Solano is ready before shucking out the dollars for gut. :) See my G.A.S. list.

9. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Actually they came on an old kay bass I just picked up and I was curious as to what they were. I have all gut on one bass and anima on another. I generally don't care for steel strings that much but I try them here and there just to remind me how much I don't care for them.

Kevinlee