Help ID These Strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by nicklloyd, Jan 15, 2003.

1. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I came across a set of strings that has me baffled. Here's what I can tell you:

1)Synthetic core, clear, almost looks like weed-wacker line. Solid, not woven, and plastic-like.

2)Wrapping is flatwound silver.

3)Ball end silk is blue w/red spiral. No hardware at the "ball end" either. Just a simple knot, with some felt.

4)Pegbox end has four different colors. Yellow, blue, green, and red. (that's in no particular order)

They aren't innovations. I checked the quinn violins' string ID chart. No dice.

:confused:

2. D'Addario Pro Arte?
    (discontinued since a few years)

3. Francois is right...they are Pro Arte's. I still have a set that I thought I had thrown out.

Martin.

4. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    let's just change this forum title from "Strings" to "Ask Francois"! Thanks, Francois and Martinc. I kinda like these Pro Artes, but they are too worn and abused to be any good.
    Why did they discontinue making them? Does anybody have a relatively new set they would wanna sell?

5. Nick: I just rummaged through the box where I saw the Pro Arte and noticed the only one I have left is the E string. Its in good shape. If its any good to you....its yours. I'll be glad to put a stamp on it and send it off, no charge.

Martin.

6. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    those were ok strings, i like the new d addario's better. the small guitar shop still sells that model of the strings.

Shows they dont sell very well

7. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    adam007....
    where/who do you play with in Cincy? your profile was a little cornfusing. do you play upright, too?

8. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Hey a fellow 513 man! Im not doing much right now until i get a better bass. you know keller music? thats my 2nd home. i love guitar center though. Ah good ol cincy, we should have a chat.

9. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Ive only played upright a few times. mainly to learn Mr krinkle by primus. they have upright basses at a school where i go to and thats when i was taught. i play bass guitar primarily. Rock on!

what band are you in?

10. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've been playing around town in some western swing, trad. jazz, bluegrass, rockabilly, boogie-woogie groups. You can catch me with Ricky Nye at Kaldi's, on Main, March 21, 9 pm. We do a Professor Longhair meets Willie Dixon kind of thing. Ever heard of these guys?

I guess this should be PM stuff....