Help ID this bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by avvie, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    • I bought this bridge off EBay...seems to be a factory second (a few finish blemishes). Seemsnlike a Hipshot A-type but without the adjusting screws and movable string spacing. Might be a brand-specific model...I've never seen it before and wondered if you could help. 20160424_121953.jpg 20160424_122012.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Looks like an ABM or knock off.

Bodeanly likes this.
  3. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
  4. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    IMHO, they're a pain to get set up.

avvie likes this.
  5. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    It looks like it would be. There's no back/forward saddle adjustment; it's just unlock, push into place and lock down. Seems like pushing into place would suck with strings installed unless one goes with a nail set and rubber mallet....which would also suck.

6. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Have the set screw just loose enough to move the saddle. Tune and check intonation. Loosen the string. Move the saddle for intonation. Tune and check intonation. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Loosen the string to get it out of the way and tighten set screw. The saddle will want to move as the screw is tightened so it will need to be held in position, IME.

I don't have this particular bridge but a do have several basses with individual bridges that have the same saddle system. If I have a new one to set up I take careful measurements from a bass that is the same scale length/string set and do adjustments with the strings loose or before they are installed. Be sure and have a good Allen wrench that actually fits. The lock screw for the height adjustment is also a total pain since it's under the string.

It's a good looking bridge, functions well and is used on a lot of high end basses but IMHO, the adjustment system was poorly thought out.

avvie likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Usually, I can move in small increments with some modest finger pressure. If resistant, I use a small mallet and...get this...a hardwood chopstick.

Riis

8. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    D'oh! Of course...and i got all kinds of chopsticks round here...

Zooberwerx likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2022