1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help ID this Fender P-Bass please MIM, MIK or MIJ? :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, May 20, 2011.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I haven't looked at it yet (in person), all I have are these pics. I don't know if it's MIM, MIJ, MIK or MIA (not likely). I don't know the year but was told it's not repainted or modded (though I can't be sure, he's not the original owner). I also know that the neck is satin finish (not glossy). I don't know that recent MIM Standards had this color scheme, so maybe somebody recognizes it. Of course, it could also just be a Fender neck on unknown body - any easy way to tell? I also don't know if MIJ, MIK and MIM P-basses had a reputation for being good compared to say the current CV Squier P-Bass? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IMO, ask for better pics, serial numbers from neck, pots and neck plate.

Then you won't have to spend time guessing.

3. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    yeah, but it could be gone by then. i'm going to look at it today :) i have a smartphone, is there a serial number lookup online?

the price is reasonable (or possibly even very good) even if it's not "vintage" or rare or collectible or whatever. it's cheap even for current mim p.

4. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    found out it's Korean - are those any good?

5. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    checked out Fender Product Dating site - it has guidelines for dating MIA, MIJ and MIM, but not Korean. Any idea? I also didn't find a way to email Fender, only a phone number.

Is there a way to find some history on when Fender made basses in Korea (this is not Squier)?

6. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    FWIW: the serial number starts with CN and then 6 digits. The neckplate is plain with no logo or markings - it may well be a fender neck on unknown body. I'm ok with that, but still curious.

7. I'm pretty sure it's a real Fender, serial number starts with CN3 so its a Korean 93. This one has never been played - looks brand new. Plays as nice as any good MIM I've used. The color of the body is what throws me off as you were with the above bass. This one is what I would call Royal Blue NON metallic. Has anyone ever seen that color on another Fender? I thought Lake Placid is a bit more towards purple.

98vo7n.