1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identfying P Bass Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexE, Dec 4, 2017.

1. AlexE

AlexE

Dec 4, 2017
    Germany
    Hello, Bassists,
    need your Help for identifying a Fender (or non Fender) P Bass Body
    I just bougt a franken p-bass for little money and stripped it down. The idea was to look what parts may be worth for a project. The seller told me a lot about and there was nearly no surprice. Good hardware, SD PU, Fender Highmass, good tuners.
    The neck is a massive non Fender 51 style P-bass neck, with the small neckplate. Someone has put Fender decals on it, but it is definately no Fender Neck. But it has good and nearly new fretwork no ware and is in a fine and good condition. The only thing is that it does not fit to the body as it has only 62mm width (fender should have 64mm) it is no medium scale. I Would sell it if there is any interests. But this is another story.
    First I´m asking for if anyone here knows something about the body.
    Its a P-Bass Body, in a good mint condition in olympic white. It looks good and I will keep it for further build project. What I want to know where it comes from.
    It was said it is a Japan body, MIJ or CIJ I dont know. But its likely. The number stamped into the neck pocket tells me nothing. Its F-PB-OW. I would say PB stands for P Bass, OW for olympic white. Question about the F. Maybe its not Fender or Squire but Fernandez, or what else ?
    I hope someone of you can help me. Has anyone seen such a Body and can tell me where it comes from ?
    Many Thanks for your help.
    Alex
    upload_2017-12-4_16-3-6.

upload_2017-12-4_16-3-39.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Am I seeing correctly that it is drilled for a bridge cover (ashtray) and a 1970's-style thumbrest? Also, there appears to be some yellowing/aging outside of where the pickguard was. Is this a nitro body?

3. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Yes you can also see the outline of the yellowing around the bridge cover, in a trapezoid shape.

4. AlexE

AlexE

Dec 4, 2017
    Germany
    Hello
    Yes the Body gets yellowing, you can see it at pickguard and Aschtray. I do not know if its nitro or not.
    But the paint is nearly with out scratches. Also at the back. Looks like unused or not realy often used.
    The Neckpocket looks to be correct for Fender neck. This week I will get a Fender Neck and I will see if it sits well.
    The only I know is what is in the neckpocked stamped. The paint in the neckpocket looks like primer only.