Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help identifing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Aug 18, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok usually im prettty good at this but this one is a stumper. My guitarist a couple years back got a bass at a dodgy music store for nuthing. Thing is the bass is actually kinda cool. Well we stripped off the paint and repainted it once. I finally talked him into giving it to me for me to play with. Im gonna totally give it a overhaul and such but im wondering where i can find info on it. It looks just like the one in the picture -http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=228957

The difference is it has 2 P pickups, 3 vol/tone pots, and 4 switches. It takes 2 9 volt batteries. I have no idea what almost all the switches do. Can sumone provide me sum info?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I found a picture of the bass I think that you are talking about.

[​IMG]

Maybe this will help somebody else give you more info.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yep thats it, it looks like they went to work on the body a bit but thats the exact electronics, thats alot embellisher

4. embellisher

I may be able to help a little more.

I have an Electra Westone P/J bass, and it may have similar electronics to the one in the picture.

On my bass, the large switch is on the upper horn, and it is a pickup selector.

The other three switches are as follows, from nearest the neck to nearest the bridge.

1st mini switch is a Dual Tone Switch. I have no idea what this is for, it makes little difference in the tone as near as I can tell.

2nd mini switch is a phase switch. When both pickups are selected, this can reverse the phase on the bridge pickup, giving a thin, nasal tone. Phase switches were all the rage in the late 70's and early 80's.

3rd mini switch is a preamp bypass switch. This allows you to use the bass in either active or passive mode.

The control knobs are master volume, master tone(works in both passive and active modes) and equalizer tone. The equalizer tone knob works only in active mode, and is one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard. It has a center detent, like most active EQ controls. Rotated one way, it moves the center point of the EQ band towards the bass and increases gain. Rotated the other way, it moves the center point of the EQ band towards the high frequencies and increases gain. It is capable of some very bizarre tones, some of which are useful, some of which are hideous.

Hope this helps.

I also found a new(to me) Electra website which has information and even some catalogs from the 1970's and 1980's. These may give you some insight as well.

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/guitarlist.html

Here is another great Electra site.

http://www.herons.ca/electra/

5. embellisher

hyperlitem, did any of this help? Does your bass appear to have the controls I described on my Electra?

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yes it did thanks embellisher. I gotta wait till i have more time next week to play with it. Im moving back to school this week so i havent had much spare time. Im gonng re sodder all the connections and fire it up, ill let u know. Thanks again