1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help. Identify Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zenza86, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Zenza86

Zenza86

Apr 7, 2018
    Hello everybody. I'd appreciate if someone with more experience than me would help me identifying this 5 strings Peavey Cirrus.
    I'd be grateful if some expert, just by looking at it, could make an assessment about:
    -origin of manufacture
    -year
    -woods
    -pick ups
    Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Jvdben1

Jvdben1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    It looks like a US made Cirrus, the serial number will indicate the year by the last 2 digits. Example, 00, 01, 02......they stopped US production in 2007, but the custom shop was open for another year I believe. It looks like bubinga wood to me, not 100% sure with limited pictures. Nice bass, very desirable US made instrument that is still one of the highest quality for the buck. Peavey enthusiasts love the Cirrus as do I, good luck and hope this helps!

3. If you contact PV and give them the S/N they can tell you when it was made, what woods were used and any options it may have had.

4. Zenza86

Zenza86

Apr 7, 2018
    I wrote them an email and tried to contact them through multiple channels but unfortunately received no answer.
    What if the serial ends with 85?

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own the 6 string version with the same woods. The top is redwood, the body is alder, the neck is maple and purpleheart. This bass was made in the USA. The pickups and electronics should be original (they appear to be original). Peavey VFL PU's and three band 18 volt preamp.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    ebozzz, Zenza86 and IronSpatula like this.
  6. ^He's 100% right.

7. Bingo. I used to own (and gig with exclusively) this exact bass. You have a sweet instrument, my friend — enjoy it!

8. Zenza86

Zenza86

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you all for your precious answers. There's one last thing if someone could please explain it to me, since I find it hard to understand, how the year of manufacture is "hidden" in the serial. The complete number is 10937285.
    Thank you.

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    As far as I know, Peavey did not put the year of manufacture in the serial number.

10. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Chuck is right: no year on the Peavey serial numbers; this Cirrus is an original Cirrus5 redwoodflame made in USA (the production was between 1998 or end of 1997 till 2009). According to the serial number, yours could probably made in 2000 (or early 2001)

11. Zenza86

Zenza86

Apr 7, 2018
    May I ask you from which part of the serial it can be seen? Or is just a number close to previously dated serials?

12. For reference,I have a Millennium Plus model with the serial# 10919768 and the neck has an early 2000 date written on the neck heel.

Zenza86 likes this.
  13. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree that it's a redwood. It's one of my favorite Cirrus woods.

As for serial number, Peavey has said that they lost the documentation to be able to date their instruments. The link in my sig to to the T-40 info sheet has a serial number guide that you should be able to use to idenentify the year of manufacture.

Zenza86 likes this.
  14. Zenza86

Zenza86

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you all! Since we are talking about dating cirrus basses, i'd have one last curiosity of somebody could please help me since i found nothing about it: the logo on the head stock.
    My cirrus has the linear, "framed in a band" logo. The new cirrus has the "spiky" old logo. But i've seen some cirrus have the Hartley Peavey "signature" logo. I've seen it both on usa and custom shop models. I'd like to know if it's been something that happened in a limited period of time or if that "signature" logo identifies a peculiar type of instruments with particular characteristics.
    Thank you all again for you kind answers!

15. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE

Mar 17, 2008
    Congrats on the new Cirrus you're gonna love it. I found out a lot of info and real world situations in the US PEAVEY CIRRUS CLUB thread..I'm positive any question you could think of is in that thread. It was very interesing to (granted a lot of pages) with a wealth of info and nice photos if you haven't already checked it out.

Zenza86 likes this.
  16. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Peavey "block" logo was adopted on the USA Cirrus production since 1997/1998 till end of 2005/early 2006; after, when USA Cirrus "Custom Shop" production started, was adopted the HP "script" logo; but also the following and cheaper BXP production (2009/2016) was with the HP "script" logo. The old classic "spiky" logo, as You called, is only on the new Indonesian production (since 2016/2017).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Zenza86 likes this.
  17. Zenza86

Zenza86

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you. I'll look for it, i'm very interested about this model

Thank you, exhaustive answer.