Help identify Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Teaboy, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Teaboy

Teaboy

Sep 2, 2008
    London
    Hey guys. I just bought a bass from eBay. It was listed as a Schecter Custom 5 (which is a bass I have been after for a while & are almost impossible to get hold of in the UK) so I hit Buy it Now without really looking at the photos. Whoops.

The photos are pretty crap. This is the only one that was of any use. The other two are just crops of the same photo in the same resolution.

rV2M8.jpg

Anyone recognise it?

Cheers :D

2. The had a Diamond Series and a Custom Series that were very similar. I think the customs had bolt on necks and the Diamonds were neck through. I once own a Diamond Elite 4 which was neck through with gold hardware and binding. Yours is problby the C-5 model.

3. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    It's a Diamond Series Stiletto 5. The Stiletto's, C-4's, and C-5's are all part of the Diamond Series.

Click on "BASSES" ...

http://www.schecterguitars.com/

4. Teaboy

Teaboy

Sep 2, 2008
    London
    Thanks for the replies.

I've already looked at the Schecter site but I can't see any basses in that colour or with the diamond inlays, which is why I asked here.

I'm trying to find out the exact model so I can look up the pickups, etc. to make sure it's worth the price I paid for it. Otherwise I'll withdraw my bid and wait :)

5. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Yeah It's some kind of stiletto model. It kind of looks like either a Stiletto custom or Elite since it has the diamond inlays but I'm not sure.

6. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    The Stiletto line changed a lot this year, so you won't find any old colors or designs on the website.

Here's what we know: it's a Stiletto. It has a black headstock and not a matching one and says "Diamond Series" vertically rather than horizontally, so it's pretty old (90's?).

"Diamond Series" doesn't mean anything. Customs, Elites, Studios are all "Diamond Series" because ALL mass produced Schecters are the diamond series. The only Schecters that are not "diamond series" are the custom built ones (and I don't mean the "Stiletto Custom" which is mass produced, I mean a true one of a kind custom order).

Here's how you can tell what type of Stiletto is is, by looking at the wood and the neck and the bridge
    Deluxe - painted body, bolt on, "plate" style 1 piece bridge, mostly black hardware
    Custom - wood grain body, bolt on, many have the s-tek bridge in which it is divided up into 5 unattached pieces each of which hold 1 string, most have gold hardware, but I have seen black
    Elite - wood grain body, neck through, S-tek bridge, gold or chrome hardware
    Studio - wood grain body, neck through, huge 1 piece high mass bridge, different control layout I believe, gold hardware

Note that this does NOT apply to this year's Schecters which have all kinds of new colors and models and hardware

7. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Oh, in conclusion, I'd say Stiletto Custom 5 is a real good bet.

8. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    sorry dude, but none of this is correct. Even at first glance you can tell it is not a c-5 as it has a different body entirely

9. Get the serial number of the bass (located on the back of the headstock) and send a email to Schecter through their website with it. They'll tell you exactly what it is.

I can tell you that the first 2 digits of the serial number represent the year it was manufactured.

TD

10. Teaboy

Teaboy

Sep 2, 2008
    London
  11. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Nice, it is the stiletto custom model you bought.

12. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    im sure its a stripped deluxe

13. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    NOPE. Deluxe never had diamond inlays or s-tek bridge like that ones has.

14. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    It's a custom. Look at the pictures he posted from that photo album. It's the same kind and it says custom on the headstock so it's a custom 5.

15. Its a Stilleto Extreme from what I see. Its not a Custom. It looks like the original finish has been removed since I remember them being sold in solids. I may be wrong. A bigger picture would help. Customs headstocks are the same finish as the body.

16. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    NOPE. A few years back they started making headstocks that match the body, before that they all had black headstocks. See how the words diamond series are written vertically? When they used that logo, all headstocks were black.
    Also, this is the first year for the extreme, which has "V" inlay, not diamonds.

WOW, TB has become a wealth of misinformation, someone lock this thread.

17. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    +1 !!!!!

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    A simple call to Schecter will solve your riddle.

All you have to do is give them the Serial Number and they'll tell you what it is. Very simple and painless. I've done it several times on different Schecters I've had.

19. I said "I may be wrong". A bigger picture would certainly help. Better yet the email to Schecter with the serial # would give the answer.

20. Scanman13

Scanman13

May 21, 2009
    Lindenwold, NJ
    It's actually an SX cleverly disguised as a Schecter- :ninja:
    Eventually ALL YOUR BASSES ARE BELONG TO US!!
    I'm sorry it's the first thing that popped into my head...:rollno:
    I would agree with emailing Schecter - they should know their line better than anyone I would think :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021