Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identify the bass: MIA Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soularis, Jul 28, 2003.

1. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hi guys. I was at a local shop today, and found a great bass, but can't seem to figure out what kind of model it is. It has that sleek new style Fender body, a little smaller I think than the normal J body, like on MIA Deluxes, it was made in the US, on the back plate where the screws to hold the neck there is a whole between two bottom screws. It has those "vintage-style" chrome knobs, 3 ply pickguard, and the tuners like on a MIA Standard. Also the brige has only 3 screws holding it, top-load only. It sounds terrific and the price is very affordable, so I am thinking about getting that maybe. Fender's website has some info and it seems that this might be an "Upgrade!" Standard Jazz Bass, but it doesn't have the photos, so I can't be too sure. Any help would be appreciated, I'll get S# tomorrow. Thanks.

2. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Is it new or used? What's the pickup configuration? If it's used, it could be an early 90s American Standard Jazz. They made the body a little sharper for a few years and made it a 22 fret neck instead of 21. I know because I've had one as my main bass for about ten years now.

If it's new and it's got a P and J pickup, it could be the new Aerodyne.

j.

3. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Well it's definately not Aerodyne, that one I know pretty well. :D But it is used, and you might be right about it being Standard Jazz. It has two bi-polar single-coil pickups.

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah...could be...no idea why Fender decided circa 1990 to add one fret to the American Standard Jazz Bass unless someone was feeling particularly malicious and said to himself 'heeeey...here's a great way for me to make it really hard for Justyn to find an aftermarket pickguard for his bass' but there you have it.

If it's got exposed pole pieces I think that rules out the Jazz Bass Plus, which was also an early 90s invention if I remember correctly. That one had Kubicki electronics I think.

Gad...the things you remember from those shopping-for-the-first-good-bass formative years...

J.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That is the micro-tilt.

6. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    What is a micro-tilt? Thanks.

Hey, Justyn, today I went and put it on hold, so I'm waiting for my paycheck to decide what to go for, this beauty or the Geddy Lee. The only problem with this bass is that previous owner put some kind of a stupid "melted" mark on the bottom of the bass, it looks like something hot has been applied to it, also the finish is all f*d up with slight tiny scratches, not really important but shows the wear. The fretboard though is nice, clean and no dings.

I have couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. What would you go for if you have to chose between this MIA and Geddy? Price is the same, and MIA comes with a hard case.

2. That bridge with three screws, is it replacable by, say, a BadAss? Just wondering.

Thanks man.

7. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    OK...let's see...I believe a micro-tilt allows you to adjust the angle of the neck a bit, but I'm not entirely sure, so maybe wait for someone to clarify that. I'd certainly be chagrinned to discover that I had such a thing on a bass I've owned for a decade.

As for which one to choose, that's a choice that I think can only be made by sitting down with each one and seeing which you ultimately feel more comfortable with and which yields the tone you like best. If there's a vast price difference between the two, then that might figure into it as well, but ideally you'll be able to choose based on which bass ultimately feels and sounds better to you and suits the style or styles of music you like.

Hope that helps,
    j.

8. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Yeah, you're right, it all comes down to that. I'm just a little too worried since this is gonna be my first good bass, maybe it's normal. Thanks for all your comments. Take care.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That's right. It's like a built-in shim.
    You loosen the four neck plate screws and use a 1/8" allen wrench in that hole between the screws; clockwise increases neck angle, counter-clockwise decreases.

10. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Anxiety? Over buying a bass?

Nonsense...I've no idea what what you're talking about;)

Anxiety is normal. You're spending a goood chunk of money on an instrument you presumably want to hold on to for a while. It's totally natural to expect that you're going to be a little worried about it.

The good news is that I think you'll be well served whichever one you choose. The Jazz Bass is an enduring design and you can play just about everything on one.

I'm off to go see if my Jazz Bass actually has a micro-tilt adjustment...I'll just die if it does and I never knew about it...all my bass credibility will just go out the window...

j.

11. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    lol :p well it should a nice surprise to learn you had these feature. thanks for the support, apprecieated.

12. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Oh, and I had no problem installing a Badass bridge on my 90s American Standard J-Bass...three of the five holes in the Badass line up just fine.

j.

13. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    how do you like it with the badass? did you have to drill another two screws in? so many questions!!! thanks man :p

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I put a Gotoh (with five screw holes) on my jazz and it's fine with just three screws. I wouldn't drill any new holes.

15. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    yeah that makes sense

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think you are going to be "chagrinned", but it's not important enough to die over. Fender started using the micro-tilt on four bolt necks in 1983. I dont know if the MIM or MIJ models have it.