Help identify this 70's Japanese bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RHA III, May 18, 2018.

1. RHA III

RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    Da U P eh!
  2. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    It would be necessary to try it out in order to make an authoritative judgment. However, it looks kind of junky to me. I think you can get a whole lot better for $125 these days.

Aqualung60 and dan1952 like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Give him $50 if the neck is straight and it makes noise

4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If quirky Japanese basses are your thing then I'd say it's probably worth somewhere around the asking price. I would definitely haggle with the seller. Bonus if it actually plays and makes electric sounds.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    The bass is from the sixties, not the seventies. Gold-foil pickup, which is a plus providing it works.

Bass almost certainly is a refin.

Bass likely to be fairly heavy, and likely have neck-bow issues.

Offer $75 and go from there.

RHA III likes this.
  6. Looks like a Teisco or some such, which were the lower end of MIJ basses of the 60s and 70s. Some people like them for nostalgia's sake, but I personally would only bother if it was well preserved. This one looks to have been dragged behind a truck, then dragged behind a boat, and then left out in the sun.

RHA III likes this.
  7. RHA III

RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    Da U P eh!
    I searched images of Teisco basses and found some similar aspects, but nothing that looked exactly like this bass.

8. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Pop some corn, get a couple Barq's root beers, and read this entire thread.

Searching for a mid/late 60's Japanese made solid body bass

I 'spec' your bass is in here somewhere; but even if it's not, the thread still is a great read.

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I hate to impose on him (cause I just did this on another thread :smug:) but @JIO does some very cool stuff with vintage MIJ basses maybe he'll give his input on what exactly this bass is. It has something going for it with that pickguard but it looks like it needs a ton of elbow grease before it will be a decent bass.

I agree with this

The amount of work it needs makes the asking price too high IMO

JIO likes this.
  10. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    RHA III and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Yeah; most of us grizzled veterans remember that back then Teisco were jobbers, just like Valco, Harmony, Kay, and even Gibson: they provided product for a lot of distributors and retailers, and it was this final destination that determined the brand on the headstock. One reason why in many cases the "brand" was a stick-on label. It was applied by the retailer or distributor. But except for subtle variations in the appointments, the guitar or bass was the same.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    53595968.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Smoke damage? So was this an early attempt at roasting a bass??? You know what those go for these days. Such a deal! :laugh:

RHA III likes this.
  14. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Are you trolling TB?

15. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    I have a Teisco guitar with the same design, pickguard and paint. The neck is horrible, and not adjustable. I stuffed pennies under the bridge to turn it into a lap guitar. Years later I learned that everybody else eventually stuffs pennies under the bridges of their Teiscos too.

RHA III likes this.
  16. Well now a serious question deserves a serious answer. That is seriously a piece of junk bass. Now some people like to drive a junker and some people like to play a junker.
    I've bought numerous Fender and other quite serviceable basses for under $125. This would never be purchased by me.
    Now on the other hand Jio's RestoMods are in a whole different league altogether. Simply beautiful, no doubt, but when he builds his quirky instruments I believe he remedies any shortcomings they may have had. So everything that is essential to its performance is addressed and updated/upgraded as necessary. Which is nothing like what you'll get with one of these.

RHA III likes this.
  17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Unless it was your first bass from childhood...
    fifty-bucks-best-i-can-do.jpg

dan1952, SirMjac28 and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Naaa...

19. brainthmpngfast

brainthmpngfast

Mar 5, 2018
    Oregon
    Hey I live close to OP, and I can attest that people out here expect top dollar for their used junk, especially on craigslist. Not to say that bass it total junk, but you get my drift. I agree with offering $50.

dan1952, RHA III and Reedt2000 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021