1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identify this '75 Jazz reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lmfreeman9, May 29, 2012.

1. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I am looking at a '75 reissue Fender Jazz at a reasonable price.

Problem is that it has no Made in decal and no serial number.
    Owner has no knowledge and is not a bassist.

I will try to get some better photos.

2. lweastdad

lweastdad

Feb 5, 2011
    I've got a '75 reissue Jazz and it has both made in america and the serial number on the headstock. Could you post pictures?

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I thought I did.

Attached Files:

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Can't tell spit from those photos, sorry. But I would be extremely wary of a Fender without a S/N or a place of origin on it, Fender does not omit those details.

5. My first thought was That its a VM squier. do you you have a better pic of the headstock?

6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Get a pic of the headstock and check for a bullet trussrod. Hard to see in those pics, but it looks like the black hole of a Squier. That and the matte pickups.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Should have one tomorrow.

8. It looks like I can see the bridge pickup peeking out from under the ashtray...on seventies spacing (75RI) it's tucked under more..

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Landau is right, you can clearly see the truss rod spot on the headstock, most definitely not a MIA Fender, and most definitely trying to scam somebody is it has a Fender decal with the Made in Mexico removed. Or even worse, a Squier with a Fender decal added in place of the original.

10. Yep, good eye. Dollars to doughnuts its a VM.

11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    The MIJ/CIJ's have 60's spacing, but then, I'm not aware that they ever made a '75 RI with black blocked neck.

Also, concerning the SN, it would have been under nickle-thick poly on the headstock. Kinda impossible for it to get lost somehow without much effort.

12. lweastdad

lweastdad

Feb 5, 2011
    The '75 reissue had a black pick guard but a black blocked neck with the black band on the side where the fret dots are.. The one I have has a MIA and a serial number on the headstock. Could be some one cobbled something together to call it a '75 reissue.

If you go to the following link, you'll notice that the serial number is under the FENDER and the MIA is under the Jazz Bass part.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190302821

13. IMO, I am sure that Japanese 75 reissue has 60s pickup location unlike US 75 bridge pickup s closer to bridge.

I wouldn t deal with any fender wo serial.

14. I think it has the knurled V-V-T knobs that the Squires use,too.

15. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    truss rod adjustments in the 75RI should be in the heel with the bullet in the headstock.
    that looks very squier-esk but its hard to tell fro the pictures.

no serial, no bueno. if it cant be verified as what it is being sold as, pass.

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    For reference, here are some shots of mine. It's an AV Reissue '75 Jazz made in 2000.

100_1483.jpg

100_1482.jpg

100_1481.jpg

100_1474.jpg

100_1478.gif

17. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    From those pics it looks to me like a Squier with a swapped guard, added ash tray, and possibly a swapped or altered decal.

Better pics would help to be sure.

18. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    The 75 RI also has a 3 bolt micro tilt neck plate. I own a MIJ 75 RI and a MM IV. Ask for a pic of the back.

19. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    This is not always true... the Non Export MIJ 75 RI jazz basses have 70's spacing.. i have one...

20. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I saw it played it and took pictures today. Felt, played and sounded good, but I am pretty sure this is not a stock Fender bass. Decal is 70's style and it looks like a parts bass to me.

Here are more photos:

Attached Files: