1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Identify this crazy Spector 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warfender, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Any info would be appreciated. It is used and kinda beat but it sounded nice and felt nice. Not sure what it is worth, what model, year, etc.

I played in a store against a new Schecter Diamond 5er an it blew the doors off it in every way. Spector Preamp was replaced and not sure what it is but it was as loud as the Scecter on 10 when the Spector was on 1 1/2.

Attached Files:

2. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Pics don't really show all the scrathes, finger wear mojo, a raddom screw above the rear pickup for no reason. These bridgs are really weird too. Is that the normal bridge? Why so darn big and wierd? Sure there is a reason. Also the pickups set about 1/2" or more above the body which seemed high. Normal? Again it sounds very nice. Also the input jack was wierd and had a black washer thing between it and the body. Stock?

3. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks in advance for your help.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    thats an early spector rebop 5. the bridge is an aluminum locking design of spectors. seems like it just needs to be cleaned and set-up. euro made spectors are really good basses.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's an older ReBop (aka European bolt-on series), the "pre-deluxe" model before they stared using the fancy inlays and figured tops. That looks like the normal bridge, which doesn't seem any more "big and weird' than any other high-mass bridge.

6. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks for chiming in!!!!!

Is this Euro or Chech? I know the pic of the back head stock is blurry but I think it says something about Chech Republic above the signature. Any other info like what stock preamp was and if any good. I'm going to have them see what is in it cause it is one of the most power basses (unless the Schecter just sucked bad) that I've seen.

Do these have truss rod issues, input issues?

What would be a good used price????? Again it is haggard playing and could use a full refinish job or leave a beater mojo.

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Euro = Czech. They are the same.

8. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Thx Mike. Wasn't sure if they were different.

9. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    What is a used beater worth????????

10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    stock preamp was the tone-pump preamp. bass and treble boost only. the early ones didnt have an internal trim-pot to adjust the gain/output, the newer ones do. cant speak on the truss rod as i dont own any spector basses, im just a gear-head that loves learning about different basses.

edit,
    as far as the used price, as long as the neck isnt warped and there's no truss-rod or other issues, i'd say $700 or so is a fair price, considering it's condition. those natural ones had an oil finish, which is very unforgiving, and needs to be oiled about once a month. the necks on those early rebops were oil finished as well, are three-piece maple with graphite reinforcement.

11. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    If you email the pics and more questions to spectors customer service they will get back to you really quickly. They excel in that department. They could probably give you a good estimate of what it's worth.
    But yeah, everyone else hit the nail on the head. It's an early Rebop 5.

12. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    So if I can get in the $600 range it is a steal and awesome deal? Anyone buy or sell one recently?

13. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Asking "what's it worth?" requires a Supporting Membership.

14. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Wow, really? Sorry didn't know.

I kinda need to know by morning so any way you can help me out?

What entails supporting member? Never knew of it, my bad.

15. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Upper, left corner, where it says "Supporting Membership" ...

16. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    So, what is better
    1. Used Spector Legend Custom 5
    2. This used beat up non looker but sounds good old euro rebop for $250

17. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    If i were in your shoes, I would pick the euro over the legend 5.

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    what he said. the euro's are considerably good in the quality department. they may not be made in the woodstock shop like their US cousins, but they are damn close. the spector guys have said the euros are about 70%-80% of what a US spector is.

19. John Herzog

John Herzog Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I had one of these in white and still regret selling it. I'd take this over a Legend any day. It sounded great and wasn't too heavy from what I remember. The stock pickups were EMG-HZs and the pre-amp was an Aguilar OBP-1, with treble boost and bass boost only. I can't really see the condition from the pictures, but I think $250 is more than a fair price if it only has some superfical scratches and dings in it.

20. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Older rebop 5. Cool bass.