Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identify this Gibson, please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NukeBass, Jul 30, 2001.

1. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I got a short scale Gibson bass as a wedding present from my uncle, who bought it from some guy he met one day, and neither of us know the model name or anything. It looks kin to the EB series. The # on it is 952933 and it has two single coil pickups with Gibson written on them and has a on off switch for each pickup. It also needs a new bridge. Any suggestions?

thanks!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A pic would be most helpful.

3. I think you might be talking about a series that was a cross between the EB0 and Les Paul Triumph. It has an SG body, right? And probably a clear finish? I think the pickups you are talking about are the Gibson low impedence bass pickups, like on the early Les Pauls. I don't know the name of this bass or anything; I havn't seen too many. I don't recall what type of bridge this has, so I can't tell you where you can find another one (or if). Let's see a picture!

4. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    picture will take some time...don't have a digital camera and have to get some film developed. I'll post it as soon as I get it. As for the finish, I have no idea the original because it looks like it was stripped at some point and is now plain wood.

5. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Poss EB-3? (2 pickups, short scale). I'm no expert on Gibsons, but I beleive the EB-3L was the long scale version of what you may have.

6. try www.gbase.com and search on gibson + bass + pictures.

maybe you can find a photo there.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think the bass you are referring to is a SB300. Two single coils and an SG shape. I don't know the scale length. The first and only time I saw one was in the early seventies.

8. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I think SB300 is correct.Back in the day,we used to call this a MelodyMaker Bass

9. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    If it is short scale, it is an EB-300; if long scale, an EB-350.

Steve

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Could it be an SB- 305? An obscure model that did have pickup switching. It does not seem to be an EB...

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Actually, I meant to say SB-350!

12. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I just checked out the Gibson page and looked at their serial number document in which they state it is almost impossible to determine the instrument from the serial number. However, it does say that the approximate year of production is somewhere between 1970-1972.

13. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC