1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP IDENTIFY THIS HAGSTROM - please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edward G, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Edward G

Edward G

Sep 1, 2017
    This is the first bass I ever owned (purchased around 1983). I moved to a Fender later, but always liked the size (neck and weight) of this bass. I've been considering heavily modifying it for fun and home. Wanted to make sure I wasn't messing something up that someone else may want in its original iteration. No, I am not asking for values here.

First, can anyone help me positively identify the model? SN 643958. I thought I had it figured out, but the more I research (yes, I've learned the strings are wound backward) the more confused I get.

Second, are all of these this size (30" scale)?

Third, is the case original?

And finally, before I "drop a Chevy 350 into a Tucker," should I look to sell this to an enthusiast or just chop it up (I'm not concerned about the $$ value, just the collectible demand, if any - I'd hate to destroy something someone else might want)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Check scale length.
    According to the 2017 edition of Vintage Guitar, Hagstrom made two short scale models: Model IB/F-100 30" and IIB=F400 30.75".
    These have prices of around $750 max. in excellent condition. BTW: The case looks great, reminds me of Austin Powers.

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Is that acoustic a super Jumbo Dreadnaught?

4. Edward G

Edward G

Sep 1, 2017
    Thank you! IIB is what I had figured, and that seems to be it based upon measurement.
    Lol - Austin Powers. Always reminded me of wild panties... which was cool in Jr. high. Although I guess I had never seen any in person at that time. Had to ask our guitar player about them.

5. Edward G

Edward G

Sep 1, 2017
    No, it is a Martin DRS1. This is a s-m-a-l-l bass. But the size of it makes it easy for the casual player (me) to switch back and forth between playing everyone's favorite sing-a-longs on the porch and the Barney Miller theme, lol.

6. SN 643958 = Hagstrom 2B made in 1965. It was the 958th H2B made in that production run which produced 1000.

TD

Edward G, Mark76 and cdef like this.
  7. Edward G

Edward G

Sep 1, 2017
    Thank you very much. I'd say that narrows it down just about as tightly as possible.

Thornton Davis likes this.
  8. You're welcome, enjoy your bass.

TD

9. Edward G likes this.
  10. The Sam Ash Hagstrom is a Hagstrom II and not a 1 as they've indicated. Being sellers of vintage instruments you would expect them to know better.

TD

JIO and Edward G like this.
  11. My reference was to Edward G relative to his third question: Is the case original? Based on the Sam Ash link, looks to me it is.

12. Yes, the case is original but it's not a hard shell but rather soft shell.

TD

13. Edward G

Edward G

Sep 1, 2017
    Nope, not mine. I wonder if these actually sell for that much? That's the problem with the internet... all sorts of prices are out there, but some of the listings are up for years.

14. Edward G

Edward G

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, and maybe go ahead and replace the two p'up bezel screws and wipe it down a bit. That volume knob looks different, as well.

15. FMBassist

FMBassist

Nov 27, 2017
    Milford PA
    Yes, that is a IIB. And that is the original case. I purchased a 400 brand new in 1966 with the same switches, slightly different pups. It also had the wood bridge and came with that exact case. $125.00 w/case then. Mine was white w/black pick guard. Cool stuff and I would definitely keep it as the neck is just awesome. It appears to be in great condition. It's a keeper.

16. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Those Haggies are cool - they were hanging on music store walls when I was just starting to play. I debated buying one like yours but went with a hollow-body Vox Cougar instead. :bassist:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021