HELP!! Identify this Jazz Bass logo - what year, model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Jan 2, 2018.

1. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    This is an unserualized neck on a prototype, one off Jazz Bass. This started life as a fretless and the neck was changed after an accident, which snapped the previous one. I believe circa 2008-09.

I’m trying to understand what this neck is and where it possibly came from.

The logo is basically chrome, under several coats of clear. And it has wicked dot abalone inlays.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Looks like the logo and headstock from an older American Deluxe neck along with those abalone dots.

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    DaymonJ11 likes this.
  4. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    Brittany, France
    @DaymonJ11
    22 frets... Is it installed on a regular or standard body (designed for a 20 fret neck)?

5. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I’m not sure, to be honest. All I know is Fender has verified it was made for Oskar Cartaya, and that it’s the only one with a humbucker and angled neck pu they’ve ever made.

I can tell you that next to my 1975 Jazz, the body is smaller and more aggressively styled. The headstock is substantially smaller and the neck profile is different than anything I’ve ever used.

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    To me those older American Deluxe bodies were a little smaller than the standard size. I had a 5 string version and that body was definitely smaller than the last generation Deluxe's before the Elite's came out.

7. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    Brittany, France
    I think I have found the track of that rare animal... :)
    Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass | JR Guitars Shop
    m7iqcklai3pt5fegdjpi.jpg
    liztgcjh1lfu5ospiied.jpg

Note - Because it's a 22 fret neck, the bridge, the control plate and the PUs are located way higher up the body (and the pickguard is smaller) than with a 20 fret neck (hence my question above).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018