Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Identify this MTD I just put on hold...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Mar 16, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    For lunch, I took a trip to a local pawn shop & found an MTD that looked & felt in good shape.

It's not american, made in Czechoslavakia. Serial Number 0000127B. It has a painted body, dayglo red, maple neck w/ Wenge finger board, & 2 Jazz pup config... w/ 3 controls that sounded like vol-vol-tone.

What're these things worth?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    sounds like an MTD Beast - very cool basses, they can be found in the $500 to 800 range, but they are a little rare so probably more like $800 now. Solid, solid basses.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I got it for $400..

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Dang, sounds like you got a good deal! Set that bad boy up and you should be good to go.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    very good deal- does it have the matching red headstock or the wenge brown headstock? congrats!

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    matching headstock

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, $400 sounds like a good deal. Now, did you have any money leftover to buy a digital camera and post some pictures?

No pics, no bass.

8. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Quoted for truth.

9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    As far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. You know how to make me believe. Do it.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It could be a Grendal.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nice deal McHack. Those are great basses, especially for the money.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    it's a Beast, bro- the Grendels had trans finishes on flame figured maple tops and were active with a hipshot style b bridge.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The bridge looks like a hipshot B.

But, this color... its kinda cool, but kinda "WOW I NEED ATTENTION OMG BABYGEEZUS" at the same time.

It's flourescent red/orange.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    could have been modified-
    the Beasts has solid colors, and were passive. The later models has matching headstocks to the body color.
    The Grendels were active, with a mid freq switch like a slap contour and fingerstyle bump. They has trans finishes and style b bridges and a mother of pearl logo on the headstock that said ' MTD "- some of the older ones had wnge headstocks with the word Grendel on them- the Czech basses are very good quality. The body is poplar.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, you're right. Besides, it would've said Grendal on the 'stock. That just occurred to me.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice deal, ive been looking for one of those myself, even though i probably shouldnt be, seeing as i dont need another bass.

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I tried a Beast years ago and didn't love it, but I don't think I'm a Jazz guy, so that's not surprising. It seemed well-made though, so if you like the tone, enjoy.

fluorescent red/orange?!? PICS!! :D

Marshall

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I only put $40 down to keep it on hold, until I got spousal approval. She's not too thrilled. Plus, she knows I've got aggie GS112 NT on the way. BTW, MF has GS112's for $350 new right now. That's paid for & on the way. So, its still at the pawn shop. But, I find myself wondering if I should even bother w/ the Beast.

19. I recently bought a Grendel with a solid white body color. It has the active pre, Hipshot B bridge and matching headstock with MTD logo. Anyway, I am extremely impressed with everything about it. It was supposed to just be a backup bass but it has been #1 since I bought it. I actually sold my main botique bass because it wasn't getting used anymore. The slap tone on this bass is just killer! Great bass. Now, I wonder how fabulous the 535 must be.

20. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    They seem to be pretty rare from what everyone here is saying. So for 400, you could look at it as an investment. If you cleaned it up alittle, set it up, you could probably take it into a store and sell it for about 500-600 or even sell it on "the bay" or here for more than 400.

If I were you- I'd do it, your spouse can't get TO mad... can she?