1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Identify this non-USA Dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IesousKurios, Apr 30, 2019.

1. IesousKurios

IesousKurios

Jun 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    I've seen similar basses that are also made in Czech republic, but they all have said "Edge European Custom Series" or something of the sort instead of just "Edge Series" like mine does.

I'm not trying to find out how much it is worth to sell it, just curious about where it came from so I can tell my son the story when I pass it to him when he comes of age.

I consider myself pretty Google-savvy, and I've spent many hours going over searches and websites to no avail. My Landlord has a huge book he calls the Bible of Guitars, and it wasn't in there either. Just ones that are 'very' close, but they are different in one or two minor ways, such as what the back of the neck says or a type of wood used on the neck. IMG_20190430_123919.jpg IMG_20190430_123929.jpg IMG_20190430_123935.jpg IMG_20190430_123948.jpg IMG_20190430_124005.jpg IMG_20190430_124017.jpg IMG_20190430_124044.jpg IMG_20190430_124116.jpg

B-Mac and Bass V like this.
  2. Zack Sewell

Zack Sewell Commercial User

Jul 31, 2017
    Atlanta
    All gear listed is my own and not related to the store I work at.
    Dean Edge 4 Flame top?

3. IesousKurios

IesousKurios

Jun 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Don't those typically come from Korea?

Closest match I've seen is this one that sold on reverb:

Dean Edge European Series Blue

That one is the only one I've been able to find that looks like mine and says what mine says on the back of the neck. Most others I've seen say "Custom European Series" instead.

Looking up by serial number didn't do any good, it seems to only work for American made Deans.

I'm guessing a mid 90's bass made in Czech Republic for a couple of years, don't know much else about it besides I like the sound.

B-Mac likes this.
  4. It's the bolt-on version of this bass, otherwise identical.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both of those are similar to the top-of-the line model, the Edge Improv. The Improv has EMG CS pickups, gold hardware, Schaller M4 tuners, wider stringers in the neck, a thick slab of figured maple top, and matching headstock.

Edit: The Improv has a brass nut, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the Czech Deans are great basses, and not common.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    B-Mac, Bass V and IesousKurios like this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

This is the European Custom Series Edge Custom Flame Honey Burst 1999 Model Year.
    These were made in the same factory that made Spector basses.

They came in three levels.

Edge Improv
    Edge Select
    Edge Custom

The Improv was the highest level model of these as it had the EMG-CS pups and was neck thru
    The Select was the next model down as it had EMG-HZ pups and was neck thru
    The Custom had the EMG-HZ pups and was bolt-on.

I currently own a Select and an Improv
    @BradWorld used to own three and I think he now only owns one.
    Obviously @Templar has one
    @58kites has an Edge Improv
    @NicJimBass owns a couple of these in 5 string version
    They are the best kept secret out there.
    E C overall.jpg E C 5 Flame Red.jpg E C 5 Flame Blue.jpg E C 4 Flame Red.jpg E C 4 Flame Honey Burst.jpg

I invite you to Dean Club!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    IesousKurios and Bass V like this.
  6. B-Mac

Check this out too as well as other pages in Dean Club

European Custom Select Edge Basses

ErikRobledo and IesousKurios like this.
  7. B-Mac

wrong

8. B-Mac

Here’s my Edge Select 4, which is neck thru for comparison (PO put Barts in it)
    upload_2019-5-2_11-25-1.jpeg
    IMG_7130.JPG
    IMG_7146.jpg
    and my edge Improv

01010_7lkr8omX4zs_1200x900.jpg
    00x0x_zreX4QuQGj_1200x900.jpg

IesousKurios likes this.
  9. B-Mac

I meant to say that this is really nice too

I think this name change is a transition to the Edge series that later were moved to Korea

I have a 1999 new product brochure that shows sort of your bass with the angled flame pattern (but the controls are different)

I’ll post that when I’m back on a PC

[edit] I'm back on a PC now that has my data.

Notice the catalog pages above show the flame maple pattern as horizontal where yours is angled down toward the outer edge of the bass.
    Now look below at this brochure for 1999 at the bottom right of the page.
    1999 new products.jpg
    The pattern is the same as yours, but the headstock doesn't have the filled in area between the 'prongs' and the fretboard is different in that it has dots and no 'D' Clef insignia. Notice that the pattern on mine and on the catalog pages is horizontal and yours is angled downward like the brochure. That is what makes me believe yours is a transitional model and hence the different name on the sticker on the back of the headstock.

Elliot 'Dean' Rubinson (Armadillo Enterprises) bought Dean from Tropical Music in 1997.

Serial numbers starting with 7 refers to 1997, 8 refers to 1998, 9 refers to 1999 and 2 refers to 2000. (I am almost absolutely sure they did not use 00 for 2000)

1st digit is the year made followed by the month and then build

After that the years are designated with two digits. 01 for 2001, 02 for 2002....10 for 2010.....19 for 2019

For Korean and Chinese Models:

US - Un Sung Korea
    Y - Yoojin China
    E - World Korea

next 2 digits are the year made followed by the month and then build

There doesn't appear to be a letter designation for Indonesian models as they just start out with a double digit for the model year and state they are made in Indonesia. I think they are made in the Cor-Tek factory like so many Ibanez basses and obviously Cort basses.

JF letter designation is for Japanese factory models.
    [​IMG]
    I've never seen a Japanese Dean Bass, but I have seen Japanese Dean Guitars, so I know there is a letter designation for Japanese Deans. The above is from a Dean 2008 Soltero which is probably from one of the Gakki factories in Japan but I don't know that definitively.

[edit] I just got word from a Japanese seller on eBay that it was Fujigen Gakki (yes, the same factory that made Japanese F.....)

Then there are the USA models. I have two. They simply say Made in USA and start with a double digit for the model year. This is from a DEAN USA Hillsboro J Prototype made by luthier Jon Hill who worked for Dean at the time for NAMM 2009
    s-l1600 3.jpg
    I am still working on my catalog and brochure collection so I don't have all of the pieces of the puzzle yet, but I'm getting there. I'm not really interested in going back further than 1997 though as the Dean instruments made by Tropical music don't do much for me.

Hope this helps and please join Dean Club. I sent you a PM

IesousKurios likes this.
  10. Vaclav

Vaclav Commercial User

Jul 22, 2019
    Hi all.
    My name is Václav and I am from Czech republic.
    1. Please excuse me for my English.
    2. I got something for all Deanoholics . dean 009.jpg dean 010.jpg dean 011.jpg dean 012.jpg dean 013.jpg dean 008.jpg

11. Vaclav

Vaclav Commercial User

Jul 22, 2019
    p1b75d7a1d12vh10pl1q5dra5sor3.jpg p1b75d7a1fafv129b6bv1ba9hvp5.jpg p1b75d7a1gb6e1thoq911kb5ao9.jpg p1b75d7a1e1sm3hicvcn80pg6u4.jpg p1b75d7a1f1neti7be0o3nf1ma17.jpg p1b75d7a1ffl01ns9kel5eigjt6.jpg p1b75d7a1g1eum1q2a1ro3c031ds98.jpg

B-Mac and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  12. Vaclav

Vaclav Commercial User

Jul 22, 2019
  13. Vaclav

Vaclav Commercial User

Jul 22, 2019
    This is not my cup of tea but this is from our factory too...

14. B-Mac

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021