1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help identify this Rickenfaker!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronaldpdbrandt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Hey TB, I need a hand identifying this Rickenbacker copy that I may be getting in the near future as a part of a trade. The guy's not so handy with emailing photos, so one is all I could get out of him:

DSC_0657_zpsc1c921dd.

So, as you can see, we have checkered binding, toaster pickup, black switch cover, oval (i.e. not rectangular) tailpiece holes, full-length skunk stripe, partial-width & shiny fretboard inlays, and mono & stereo outputs.

The owner said the original pickguard was white, and the TRC was blank (white) when he got it. He can't remember if it had one or two truss rods. It is a neck-through. He originally said it was a Univox, but then backed off of that idea, thinking it was maybe an Aria. I don't think he is certain at all, but I don't remember seeing either brand with checkerboard binding.

So is it an Ibanez? Kasuga? Greco? Help me out, guys and gals!

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That is not a real Rickenbacker. I guess you know that. Maybe Ibanez??? Maybe Univox???

3. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    greco or univox...

4. ronaldpdbrandt

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Fully aware, Ric5. I'm just trying to identify which copy it is.

5. ronaldpdbrandt

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    TTT